Duplex Garage wiring

James L

Occupation
Electrician
There's also the use of the word common.

Common areas are those areas which have equal and unhindered access by any and all tenants.

If that garage has an imaginary line drawn down the middle, and the left half belongs to tenant A while, the right half belongs to tenant. B, there isn't any part of that building that's common to both tenants.

Trying to press a code which only applies to common areas onto a garage, which has no common areas, that's out of bounds. It's an abuse of the code

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If that garage has an imaginary line drawn down the middle, and the left half belongs to tenant A while, the right half belongs to tenant. B, there isn't any part of that building that's common to both tenants.
Wouldn't that then require a circuit from each tenant's panel to their respective half?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Last edited:

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Wouldn't that then require a circuit from each tenant's panel to their respective half?
I don't think it would, because there's only one door opener and nothing else. If the garage was newly built, then I would say yes

And I think there's a stark difference between common use versus common area

That code is only addressing the common areas.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think it would, because there's only one door opener and nothing else. If the garage was newly built, then I would say yes

And I think there's a stark difference between common use versus common area

That code is only addressing the common areas.
If laundry were in a detached structure ? Kind of not common I know especially in just a two family dwelling situation.

How about a rural location where both occupants share the same well or even outdoor lighting (other than say required lighting near each occupants entrance and supplied from each occupancy) such as parking or driveway lighting on poles?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
If laundry were in a detached structure ? Kind of not common I know especially in just a two family dwelling situation.

How about a rural location where both occupants share the same well or even outdoor lighting (other than say required lighting near each occupants entrance and supplied from each occupancy) such as parking or driveway lighting on poles?
I think there's a difference between an area in which two people to use the whole thing versus an area split in half.

And I'm just saying the code is using a particular grammar

kwired

Electron manager
I think there's a difference between an area in which two people to use the whole thing versus an area split in half.

And I'm just saying the code is using a particular grammar
Kind of like when you were a kid and you and your brother/sister had to draw an line in the back seat of the car as to who can occupy what spaces?

Then you constantly encroached on each other's space the entire trip :ROFLMAO:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Don, the problem is that there is no door other than the garage door so how would you get in to open it?
My old boss had one of those type of garages, they have a keyed cylinder lock on the doors, that when removed, pulled the opener release, so the door could be manually lifted. Hopefully they have the key, my boss didn’t, so I had to go through a window.