Duplex applying for 400 amp service / solar

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbakelis

Hi All,
I have a customer who has a duplex and has a 200 amp drop (100 amp per unit). My customer wants to get a 400 amp drop (200 amp per unit) and install solar. I typically do single family homes and when we upgrade from 100 to 200 amps we always install a solar ready panel that has bus bars rated at 225 amps. I have installed a Square D MP 42200 before to a duplex (2 meters w 2 - 200 amp breakers feeding sub panels) but I haven't done one with solar involved. Will solar simply be added to the 200 amp sub panels if I go this route? Doesn't the main 400 amp service panel need to have a higher rated bus bar? Does anyone have any suggestions or product recommendations for this install?
Thanks,
Ted

Hi All,
I have a customer who has a duplex and has a 200 amp drop (100 amp per unit). My customer wants to get a 400 amp drop (200 amp per unit) and install solar. I typically do single family homes and when we upgrade from 100 to 200 amps we always install a solar ready panel that has bus bars rated at 225 amps. I have installed a Square D MP 42200 before to a duplex (2 meters w 2 - 200 amp breakers feeding sub panels) but I haven't done one with solar involved. Will solar simply be added to the 200 amp sub panels if I go this route? Doesn't the main 400 amp service panel need to have a higher rated bus bar? Does anyone have any suggestions or product recommendations for this install?
Thanks,
Ted

Will each meter have it's own pv system? What size(s)?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Theoretically if you have huge solar systems there could be a problem but usually a 200A panel is going to be enough for a dwelling. Therefore 400A would be enough for two dwellings. At any rate, as far as the solar is concerned the service rating doesn't need to be greater than the combined

You're biggest concern here would be to coordinate with the solar company to be on the same page regarding details, such as providing enough breaker space for their needs, and either ensuring the subpanels are somewhere convenient for them to interconnect or providing another solution that is suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.