Dumbfounded

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDS

Occupation
JW/PM/Est
First I would like to say thank you to everyone who responded. As mentioned earlier often I don’t look at the obvious and overthink troubleshooting issues. I removed the replacement breaker and noticed some slight dark spots on the finger of C phase. I removed the adjacent 15/3 breaker in order to see the mounting bolt of the finger to the bus. That checked out good and tight. I put the screw into the finger of the C phase of15/3 breaker then to the C phase of the breaker space we are using. Well...apparently they didn’t thread the finger all the way through which meant the breaker wasn’t making solid contact. I re-tapped the finger and problem solved. Yes this was a brand new Eaton panel from the factory. They will get my unsatisfactory report but forgiveness at the same time. Again thank you all for the input.

Attachments

• 0409CA6D-EB73-440F-8F4E-C175A7C64DEC.jpeg
    0409CA6D-EB73-440F-8F4E-C175A7C64DEC.jpeg
    832.6 KB · Views: 35

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
First I would like to say thank you to everyone who responded. As mentioned earlier often I don’t look at the obvious and overthink troubleshooting issues. I removed the replacement breaker and noticed some slight dark spots on the finger of C phase. I removed the adjacent 15/3 breaker in order to see the mounting bolt of the finger to the bus. That checked out good and tight. I put the screw into the finger of the C phase of15/3 breaker then to the C phase of the breaker space we are using. Well...apparently they didn’t thread the finger all the way through which meant the breaker wasn’t making solid contact. I re-tapped the finger and problem solved. Yes this was a brand new Eaton panel from the factory. They will get my unsatisfactory report but forgiveness at the same time. Again thank you all for the input.
Thank you for getting back to us on the resolution to your issue. More often than not, we never hear again from the original poster. People need to remember that the solutions they eventually find can be valuable to others on the forum.

CDS

Occupation
JW/PM/Est
What threw me off from the start was both new 20/3 breakers read 277pg & 480pp at C phase prior to energizing the humidifier. One the humidifier was energized both breakers read roughly 57 volts at C phase. Had the replacement breaker read something like 150volts instead of 57 volts like the original breaker I would have checked the bus first. But because they both read around the same it made me think the humidifier was wrong. Anyway all is good.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician

I have seen that problem myself. You tighten the screw and think the breakers tight and it's not

Reactions: CDS

CDS

Occupation
JW/PM/Est
I have seen that problem myself. You tighten the screw and think the breakers tight and it's not
Had it been a single pole breaker you would notice it was loose. But because it was a 3 pole breaker and I put the screws in AB and then C you wouldn't notice. As stated earlier I saw the dark spots on the C phase finger as seen it the picture a couple threads up. The picture attached is the back side of breaker and the dark spots (arching) are pretty obvious.
sdfhg.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.