dual comb. afci/gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
What application in residential wiring are the dual afci/gfci breakers to be used?

Under the 2014 NEC there are a number of situations where AFCI and GFCI are required for the same branch circuit. One example is kitchens. How that is accomplished is up to the installer, be it an AFCI breaker with a GFCI receptacle or a so called dual breaker. Square D is the only AFCI/GFCI I'm aware of to date that makes one. I'm sure others will follow soon.

kwired

Electron manager
What application in residential wiring are the dual afci/gfci breakers to be used?

They are not required to be used at all. They are possibly convenient to use when both AFCI and GFCI protection are required though, which 2014 has added to the number of places that will be necessary.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Under the 2014 NEC there are a number of situations where AFCI and GFCI are required for the same branch circuit. One example is kitchens. How that is accomplished is up to the installer, be it an AFCI breaker with a GFCI receptacle or a so called dual breaker. Square D is the only AFCI/GFCI I'm aware of to date that makes one. I'm sure others will follow soon.

Siemens has them now.
Ex. Q120DF(dual function)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

In the 2014 the dishwasher is now required to be afci protected as well as gfci protected. If the refrigerator is within 6' of the sink then it also will require gfci and afci protection. There is more than one way to accomplish this however the combo breaker(afci/gfci) may be a viable choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.