Dry type transformer used as shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I always heard you guys North were at 50Hz!

The story was that you could see fluorescent fixtures flicker!

OK, we all hum at 60Hz together!
Canadians have different vision abilities?;)

I've seen a lot of fluorescent flicker, some rather strange pattern as well, but have figured it to be poor quality control or other malfunction and not direct result of source frequency.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I don't think it's much of a hazard. The windings might reach 175°C during a "normal" overload, but the lid won't be anywhere near that hot, let alone close to the infamous 233°C. (Fahrenheit 451)

Why would this not be considered a violation of 110.26.B, space above electrical equipment?
(B) Clear Spaces. Working space required by this section shall not be used for storage.
Violation or not, it wouldn’t hurt to label it "CAUTION: Electrical Apparatus - Hot Surface - Keep Clear".

You are too far south to have such need.
Don't be so quick to judge. Many people who live in the South don't have much tolerance for the cold, and some people with cold-intolerant medical conditions migrate to the South.

kwired

Electron manager
Don't be so quick to judge. Many people who live in the South don't have much tolerance for the cold, and some people with cold-intolerant medical conditions migrate to the South.
understand. I know some of those you mention.

I myself don't tolerate heat very well anymore, summers about kill me, even when it isn't really that hot. I don't like extreme cold, but am fine with 25 - 60 F for the most part while working.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I don't tolerate the heat very well, either. But I live in Michigan, where it's not a serious problem. (for now)
I often say the winter's easier to take than the summer, because there's no limit to the number of layers you can put on, but there is a limit to how many clothes you can take off.

MAC702

...I often say the winter's easier to take than the summer, because there's no limit to the number of layers you can put on, but there is a limit to how many clothes you can take off.

I used to say that in the summer, but in the winter I remember how much easier it is to get into places and actually get work done without being stiff from layers.

I work on rooftops (direct sun) and in attics (higher temps) in the summer. And I'd take our summer extremes over our cold extremes, and most of you would say it doesn't even cold here. Below freezing is rare.

Big hats, lots of water, and wet sleeves, and a pretty penny, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.