Driveway snow melt

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

Anyone done this? I have only done small mats. His driveway is at least 100ft and uphill. He plans to rip up the driveway to do it. I told him I don't know if there are companies that specialize and do the whole thing or if you need an electrician. I wouldn't want to do a job like that and then have a problem with it. I would say you're talking at least $10,000 or more. Also what would be the electric draw on those? I know the smaller one don't draw much but like I said about 100 feet by 10feet is 1000 sq feet.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
At first glance, I'd think an in-slab radiant heat system with glycol would be the way to go

Either way sounds like a fortune to install and run.
If you have Natural Gas the hydronic system may be the way to go.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Either way sounds like a fortune to install and run.
If you have Natural Gas the hydronic system may be the way to go.

Bill Gates could afford an electric system for his driveway, but mere mortals would be better off with a gas-fired solution. A four- or five-zone system should do the trick. PEX tubing is compatible with a glycol or glycerin based system.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
At some point in time the concrete will crack and the wires will break and all the money spent on the electric heat will have been wasted.

If gas not an option for heat use electricity to heat the water.
But, as Eichler found out building hydronic heated slab-on-grade houses in California, you need to be careful what you choose for tubing when burying in concrete.

mwm1752

There may be cost from the local juristiction for heating the outdoors -- hydronic is the way to go -- call the building dept to aviod issues

Status
Not open for further replies.