double nonmetalic boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jibber

the new 2002 code calls for secured nm cale locks on all double boxes and light boxes. Is this correct and if so, what type of locking device do I use in lieu of the 8" staple rule? :)

jimwalker

Re: double nonmetalic boxes

All the boxes intended for NM usually have clamps.
The PVC boxes if used correctly do clamp the wires.
First if we have a 2 or more gang box we can not apply the exception or even need to read it to answer the 2 or more gang boxes.
So now just follow 314.17
This does make me ask the question why the exception on a single gang?

drg

Because the "openings" of the single are right next to the stud where the other boxes are further away!!!

jimwalker

OK i can understand that.I recently worked for a company that thought it real smart to open all the holes in them PVC boxes.We parted real fast.Guess they thought it saved time if they pre opened all the holes ,needed or not.That along with several other violations made me think if i wanted to live it be better to leave.Really should turn him in.OSHA violations beyond any imagination

drg

Jim, I will be honest...... that post I made about the distances was just my hunch about why the code is this way.
Im not a authority on NEC codes and should of made it clear that this was only my opinion .....maybe I am correct in my reasoning ...but again it is only a hunch of why its this way.

John

jibber

Thank's for all the input regarding the "two" or more box and lighting box code. Some of the "not so old" boxes have no clamps, but just knock outs. I guess that is what is not allowed any more. Single gang boxes are ok and maybe being closer to the stud makes good sense. Who knows what the "brains" are thinking.

I had one other question: I have installed exterior annodized outlet boxes on my house with a standard screw in romex connector in the rear of the box. Can I use an ordinary can of rustproof enamel to prevent oxidation of all the inside and outside connectors? Will this meet the new NEC code? I forgot what the code # is because I didn't buy the book, just read it. Help!

ccha9219

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Them cheap blue plastic boxes at big orange just might not have clamps.hmmmm what do we do with them now ?
them cheap blue boxes at the big orange, cut in or not have a split tad over the opening. If you don't break it, it acts as a clamp for nmc, hhhmmmmmm

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

... have installed exterior annodized outlet boxes on my house with a standard screw in romex connector in the rear of the box. Can I use an ordinary can of rustproof enamel to prevent oxidation of all the inside and outside connectors?

What are you saying? You want to PAINT the romex connector? Why? If the box is installed on the siding with the NM going through a hole into the house, first use duxseal liberally around the connector before you fasten the box in place. Then caulk around the top and both sides with something like clear RTV. While you are at it caulk around where the cover meets the box also.

I can't see any reason to paint the conmnector. :confused:

-Hal

jimwalker

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cheap blue plastic boxes
I call them as i see them.The plastic blue 23 cent ones are garbage.I will not use them ever.

jibber

Your right Jim, the thin blue ones are pretty flemsy. They're so thin that they distort when you nail them to the studs.

Status
Not open for further replies.