Doorbell transformer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lle

Doorbell transformer mounted inside a panel. Is this a violation? If so, what article?

Thanks!!!!

websparky

Re: Doorbell transformer...

Yes, everytime.

725.55(A) General. Cables and conductors of Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall not be placed in any cable, cable tray, compartment, enclosure, manhole, outlet box, device box, raceway, or similar fitting with conductors of electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm circuits, and medium power network-powered broadband communications circuits unless permitted by 725.55(B) through (J).

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

What if you used a cable assembly rated at the same or higher voltage as the panel.Do the windings of the trans take control ???Are they rated ???

websparky

Cable alone will not satisfy the rest of the code!

725.52 (A)
Exception No. 2: Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall be permitted to be reclassified and installed as Class 1 circuits if the Class 2 and Class 3 markings required in 725.42 are eliminated and the entire circuit is installed using the wiring methods and materials in accordance with Part II, Class 1 circuits.

FPN:Class 2 and Class 3 circuits reclassified and installed as Class 1 circuits are no longer Class 2 or Class 3 circuits, regardless of the continued connection to a Class 2 or Class 3 power source.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

What if you used a cable assembly rated at the same or higher voltage as the panel.Do the windings of the trans take control ???Are they rated ???
I don't have a code reference, but I would think the exposed terminals on the transformer would still be a violation.

STeve

When you say "inside a panel" do you mean the transformer is wholly inside the panel or is it installed in a KO with only the primary leads inside the panel and the transformer itself on the outside of the panel?

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

All the chime trans. that I have seen have a 1/2 in. hub or simular mounting for them.So to have them wholly inside they would have to be a floating installation.Clearly a violation by manufactures installation requirements.

megawire

Furthermore, the UL listed device, I'm sure was never tested with this configuration in mind, therefore any installation of the transformer inside the panel constitutes an abandonment of the UL. Also, even if the transformer has a grounding conductor you are not physically grounding the transformer mechanically to the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.