Occupation
electrician
this strain of salmonella, known as multidrug-resistant infantis

the antibiotic paradox rears it's ugly head yet again........~RJ~

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Those who know food safety know that raw chicken is FILTHY. Always has been the worst. Wash your hands when handling it, wash and sanitize all surfaces like cutting boards, wash and sanitize all utensils like knives used to prep it. A dilute solution of bleach is good if you don't have a sanitizer sink. NEVER wash chicken! The bacteria will go all over the kitchen!

Make sure you cook chicken to a minimum of 165 deg F, doing so will guarantee that the bacteria is killed and the chicken will be safe to eat.

Follow these steps and this problem will be a non issue. Unfortunately most home cooks have no clue.

-Hal

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Those who know food safety know that raw chicken is FILTHY. Always has been the worst.

Excellent point Hal,

People are rolling the dice by eating anywhere else where chicken is prepared or served.

Not familiar with such food prep safety for restaurants. Much less believe Mom & Pops, or snot-nose kids, preparing fast food, take any special care with raw chicken.

Only when customers report severe food allergies, before food is prepared, can restaurants be held liable for life-threatening allergic reactions from cross-contamination at food prep surfaces.

My peanut allergy is common enough that some ethnic restaurants that don't care to speak english, won't hesitate to pronounce perfectly "No Peanuts anywhere on our menu". Other restaurants trust their trained staff to sterilize food-prep surfaces to avoid allergen cross-contamination on request.

Not familiar with similar handling for raw / chicken, which is not a common allergen.

Last edited:

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Not familiar with such food prep safety for restaurants. Much less believe Mom & Pops, or snot-nose kids, preparing fast food, take any special care with raw chicken.

Restaurants are supposed to follow those guidelines I mentioned above. But we all know that unless a health department inspector is standing there anything goes.

-Hal

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Restaurants are supposed to follow those guidelines I mentioned above. But we all know that unless a health department inspector is standing there anything goes.

-Hal
We typically do our chicken in the Crock Pot. It usually gets to a simmer, so up around 200+. Anything that survives after 2-3 hours deserves to.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Really your not suppose to wash Chicken? my wife makes a lemon juice bath and washes it. Going to love to tell her she doing it wrong!
I would not know any better, I can't even tell pork from chicken as long as it taste good its cool with me.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Really your not suppose to wash Chicken? my wife makes a lemon juice bath and washes it. Going to love to tell her she doing it wrong!

Just pat it dry with paper towels and "brine" it in lemon juice if that's what she want's to do. If you wash it bacteria get all over the sink, the surrounding area and become air borne from the water droplets. Big mess. This is straight from the health department. No need to wash, any bacteria will be killed by proper cooking to 165 deg.

Just tell her Hal said so. ;)

-Hal

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Wash your hands when handling it, wash and sanitize all surfaces like cutting boards, wash and sanitize all utensils like knives used to prep it..

..Follow these steps and this problem will be a non issue. Unfortunately most home cooks have no clue.

-Hal

New study shows reasonable people can't be expected get this right when cooking for themselves, much less for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.