does not have transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudal81

Occupation
Design Engineer
Hi, I don't see any transfer switch. does the bracket below (the metal on 60A & 30A ocpd) makes it a code complaint? Since I'm doing a line side tap, can I make the sub panel as is, or I do need to install a transfer switch. Thank you!

1616706051349.png

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It appears the metal bar is a generator interlock. The generator and the POCO incoming feed cannot be on simultaneously. It's a manual transfer switch. This appears to be a subpanel. Shouldn't your tap go in the main panel?

Cudal81

Occupation
Design Engineer
It appears the metal bar is a generator interlock. The generator and the POCO incoming feed cannot be on simultaneously. It's a manual transfer switch. This appears to be a subpanel. Shouldn't your tap go in the main panel?
Thank you Coppersmith. I'm tapping it between meter and main panel. it is 45A max. cont. current

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, the metal interconnects the two 2-pole breakers, so the both can not be on simultaneously. That is the interlock.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't see a problem with a solar connection on the supply side of that photo. Everything will function fine.

Whether the interlock shown is legit is another question. Arguably if the interlock is made by the panel manufacturer for that purpose it is legit, and otherwise it is not. Might be an inspection issue if the inspector will see this when you call for the solar inspection. Maybe temporarily remove it? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.