Does EMT need to be bonded

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenri001

Occupation
Power Engineer
Dear all,
I am running an EMT branch on an outside wall of a home. At the owners request, I pulled a grounding wire through the EMT. My question is if the the EMT has a grounding wire inside, does the actual EMT need to be bonded as well? Thanks for the help.

lenri001

Occupation
Power Engineer
Thank you for the welcome. That is what I suspected, my problem is that EMT body goes inside a wood panel before entering the breaker panel. Should I use an EMT ground bushing that is bonded via another ground wire or something else?

Last edited:

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Thank you for the welcome. That is what I suspected, my problem is that EMT body goes inside a wood panel before entering the breaker panel. Should I use an EMT ground bushing that is bonded via another ground wire or something else?
53E7B1AA-B711-4B0D-AF71-AB2392399509.jpeg
No extra wire needed, you can just pass your circuit EGC through the bond bushing.

Carultch

Metal raceways in general needs to be electrically continuous with the equipment grounding conductor. As is metal anything in general, that doesn't intentionally carry current, and has a likely chance of becoming energized.

A bonding bushing is one of the ways to do this, but it is not necessarily the only way to do it. It is very common that the standard locknuts that you use for mechanically terminating the EMT connectors on metal enclosure walls, can also accomplish the bonding. The locknut teeth bite in to the enclosure wall, through the coating, making the raceway electrically continuous with the enclosure wall. The enclosure itself would of course need to be bonded.

Some circumstances specifically require bonding bushings:
1. Service raceways
2. Ferrous raceways containing GEC's
3. Missing continuity, when you terminate on a plastic enclosure.
4. Impaired continuity, when you terminate on ring knockouts remaining, and the box isn't listed otherwise for over 250V to ground. Some boxes have heavy-duty knockouts that are listed for the higher voltage, and they are tougher to remove than standard knockouts.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Dear all,
I am running an EMT branch on an outside wall of a home. At the owners request, I pulled a grounding wire through the EMT. My question is if the the EMT has a grounding wire inside, does the actual EMT need to be bonded as well? Thanks for the help.
What type of wire is in the EMT?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The OP is an engineer and since he says he is doing the work this is in fact a DIY thread and we will close it for that reason.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.