Does Concrete Pool Using Encapsulated Rebar Require #8 Copper Grid Under the Pool Shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenville200

Occupation
Electrical Project Manager
NEC 2020 680.26 (B)(1)(b).

I understand we need a 3' wide 12" x 12" pattern of #8 copper on the ground surrounding the perimeter of the pool NEC 2020 680.26 (B)(2).

Does this same type of copper grid have to be installed under the pool and along the side walls of the pool due to the use of encapsulated rebar NEC 2020 680.26 (B)(1)(b)?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You don't actually need the grid pattern of copper for the perimeter surfaces, as 680.26(B)(2)(b) permits a single run of 8 AWG bare copper to bond the perimeter surface.

As to the pool shell, since you have coated rebar, you do need the 12x12 copper bonding grid.

greenville200

Occupation
Electrical Project Manager
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I should have mentioned we are in Massachusetts which has an amendment that states:

"680.26(B)(2)(b). Insert an additional paragraph to follow the five item list and reading as follows:
This method shall only be permitted for above ground pools."

I believe you are correct about the copper bonding grid being required for the pool shell as it is conductive and has encapsulated rebar. Thank you for for confirming.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor

When the perimeter grid became code, we would use a 100' roll x2' (concrete pools). Sometimes the perimeter was slightly more than a 100' and we had to purchase another roll. Home owner had to pay for both rolls even if we used a part of the second roll. $$$$$$

The single bare wire is a lot easier to install and certainly cheaper.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In his case where you have the encapsulated steel and have to have a 12 x 12 grid I would think, as high as it is, a pre-manufacturered grid would be less expensive than trying to make one using #8 bare would it not ???

Status
Not open for further replies.