Does an estimator = a salesman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beegee

I've been working as an electrician in the field for 10 years, and I'm thinking about getting into estimating with a fairly large(about 400 guys), mostly commercial shop. My question is, how much selling of your bid is involved in estimating. I'd just like to know what I'm getting myself in for, before I start to force the issue with the owner. Any help is appreciated.

megawire

Re: Does an estimator = a salesman?

If you have a shop of 400 guys, chances are you are dealing on a large scale. Estimating on this scale is very competitive, and sometimes very political depending on area. If you need to bring work to the table, your take-offs are going to be more flexible. In a union shop, you must take into account your contractual bottom line. I always make it a point not to confuse activity with accomplishment, however, sometimes I must take into account my accounts payable and keep the engines turning regardless. There are numerous programs in the market that you will have to become familar with. I would invest in as much education that you can possibly handle. If possible find a senior mentor that is willing to pass the torch of knowledge (retired estimators are a good source, most of them want to create a legacy and stay grounded to the industry). Be careful, stay the course for a year while gaining your knowledge!

jrcoles

Iwas in the same situation you are in 3 years ago_Our company is a little over 300 and I join to estimating department in 2001. I have esitmated planned specs. This is where everything is spec and planned out for you on drawings. I have also done design and build, where you have to engineer the whole electrical project yourself.
Depending on the area there may be times where you would have to sale your proposal. I have been in some tight bidding projects and the customers has called us in. Whoever can sell the job is awarded the bid. I think you should talk to some of the esitmators at you company and get a feel on how they estimate. there are a lot of software on estimating as well.With time, the fear that you have now will not be fear at all!

brian john

IMO every electrician, estimator, apprentice and helper is a salesman for the company, one jerk, bad mouth employee, one poorly dressed service tech can cost a customer, job, ect.....

Status
Not open for further replies.