Does a panel relocation count as "extending an ungrounded branch circuit"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jello5000

Occupation
Engineer
Hello forum. Just bought a 1950s house in San Diego, that has 2 wire circuits for the lighting and outlets. Some newer circuits have been added that include a ground. As part of some upgrades we are doing, I want to relocate the meter and main about 30 feet along an exterior wall. Initial plan will be to put a junction box at the current location and extend wires to the new panel location. Would this be considered "extending an ungrounded branch circuit", or is this permitted since no new outlets or lights would be added?

FYI I'll be hiring a pro to do the work, but I want to be educated and have a plan before I start getting bids.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Yes . Acording to 210.12(D), extending or modifying branch circuits( where such circuits are required) over 6’ will require AFCI protection.

Jello5000

Occupation
Engineer
Thank you both for the replies.

Petersonra, You are correct of course, and the purpose for moving the panel is to get it in a location where I can run new circuits to it. Eventually removing all the old circuits and removing the extension from the new panel to the jbox.

Greentagger, understand and agree on the AFCI requirement. My question was more in reference to 250.130(C) which prohibits extension of ungrounded branch circuits without establishing a ground on the extension (if I am reading it correctly!). Would this just apply to adding receptacles to the ungrounded branch circuit, or would this also apply to my panel relocation extension?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
One the panel side of the circuit, you just need to extend it with a circuit containing an equipment grounding conductor (which all modern cables are going to have). I don't believe you are allowed to extend those with an ungrounded extension. At the old panel location, which becomes a junction box, install a ground bar because you'll have a bunch of grounds to land in there and they will have no place to go if everything leaving is old ungrounded circuits.

Jello5000

Occupation
Engineer
Suemarkp, appreciate the reply, and that actually makes a lot of sense that this is allowed, since the extension part off the circuit is grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.