do you torque

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwill

just wondering how far everyone goes with torque of terminals. do you torque only panels or do you go as far as torque receptacles and switches if it comes with that info listed in the directions. Me personally panels only cannot afford toque screwdriver other wise would and would advertise to that fact.

thanks drwill

dillon3c

Re: do you torque

i must admit--the only thing i torque is bus duct.
-ditto-

I'll torque the Gear-Sections,of the busses involving of the splice-couplings(plates)..Then in the indentifing the "nut or carriage-bolt head" with a ink-marker,knowing of been torqued..

brian john

All our technicians have (supplied by me) 1/2" 3/8" and 1/4" drive torque wrenches with the 1/4" being an inch lb wrench, they also have been furnished torque screw drivers.

In reality switch gear bus, bus duct, all bolted connections in switch gear, allen set conductor termination connectors, fuses, ALL BATTERY TERMINATIONS, but the outlets, switches and terminal strips, well maybe if I am looking at them when they make the connections.

I have had trouble with many electricians and getting them to use torque wrenches. Heck I've had trouble getting electricians to get in the habit of using a megger, and phase rotation meter.

dillon3c

In the Installation of Busses or buss spliceplate,does anyone rely on the use of the Belville-Washers,in the requirements of "flattening" of the washer alone,as a requirement in torque.

And if not,why the use of them?Isn't that the intended purpose,design/useage of the Belville-Washer anyway.I'll still torque my installation but...Any thoughts in the useing of these washers-?(would you rely on them as TORQUED)

[ May 05, 2005, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

charlie

Our linemen use Belville washers where terminating aluminum lugs to tinned copper spades and bar type current transformers. I don't know of any other places where we use them. I also do not know what their specifications are. :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by dillon3c:
In the Installation of Busses or buss spliceplate,does anyone rely on the use of the Belville-Washers,in the requirements of "flattening" of the washer alone,as a requirement in torque.
The Belleville washers should not be flattened out entirely.

The purpose of the Belleville washers as I understand it are to maintain the same clamping force as the bussbars expand or contract.

If you flatten the Belleville washers on a cold bus bar connection you have not left room for expansion.

washers_belleville_icon.jpg

Belleville washer

Status
Not open for further replies.