Dissolving Chico X

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterinbama

Have a situation where a boundary seal was not packed properly and the Chico compound has run down into the 90.

I seem to remember that there was something that would disolve the compound.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Lots of people have told me coke a cola works, but have never tried it. I expect that there acids that will work, but they will also damage the raceway.

kwired

Electron manager
It appears that the issue is hardened sealing compound in a 90 below the seal.
I only see that as a problem if you ever want to pull something through that raceway someday down the road. Chances are if re-using raceway you will be replacing conductors and seals, possible that excess sealing compound comes out with the conductors. If not you might be replacing a certain amount of raceway as well.

oldsparky52

I've used white distilled vinegar with success in removing old conductors that were stuck in conduits (assuming from poorly poured sealoffs). It takes some time and effort.

Things I have done is to (after breaking out/removing chico from the sealoff, filling the conduit with vinegar and leaving it overnight.
Then try to free the conductors one at a time.
Most of the time the 12's and 14's would come out but the 16's and 18's would have problems.

Sometimes the wires break off down in the conduit. Once I get all of the conductors out that I'm able (assuming a couple are broken) I would shove a fish tape down the conduit, the tape had an offset bent on the end (hook is cut off), when I hit the obstruction (the 90 with chico?) I would cut the fish tape off and put it in a drill. Then run the tape up and down with the drill turned on.

I would always use a small pulling becket on the conductors when pulling in the new ones with the idea that it might offer some protection to the conductors.

Hint, DO NOT BLOW FROM OUTSIDE TO INSIDE. I did that once because we didn't have enough hose to run to the back room (using a tow behind air compressor that you typically use with jackhappers). What an effn mess. Took me 4 hours to clean up that back room SMH.

I only remember 3 jobs that I couldn't get new wires in old conduits.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I've heard coke will dissolve a lot of that stuff, not sure of chico though, might be worth a try for a buck.

kwired

Electron manager
I've heard coke will dissolve a lot of that stuff, not sure of chico though, might be worth a try for a buck.
They add acids to it to get desired pH in the product. They do this with a lot of food stuff.

People make a bigger deal out of it than it is. Probably higher acid content in a jar of dill pickles.

Status
Not open for further replies.