Disconnects mounted with door down

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveve1

As space and clearances are non-existant, one of my guys wants to mount disconnect switches for fan coil units above a suspended ceiling on the unistrut supporting the fan coil such that the door/handle would be facing downward toward the ceiling tile. Seems to me it's a violation but cant find it. Maybe it was in an earlier code and has since been changed. Any imput is appreciated.
If it makes a difference, the switch is 30 amp, 3 pole, fusible, nema 1, handle operated. Thanks

j7david

Re: Disconnects mounted with door down

Pierre I belive you are too quick to the draw.
Your reference to 240.81 is hardly valid as this concerns circuit breakers and Steve clearly states this is a fused disconnect.
240.81 states: " Enclosures ... shall be mounted in a vertical position unless that is shown to be impractical." I believe that is what is driving Steve?s question.
Then finally have you seen the listing information on this particular switch or are you shooting from the lip?

pierre

David
I see you are new to the forum, hello and welcome!
I was not trying to create a problem, just trying to answer the poster's question. The references are used as 'reference' and I never stated that my response was gospel :D that the manufacturer would not condone the method of mounting a fuseable disconnect in the manner described, I know that I would not do so, and would be willing to find an alternate method.
BTW - You seem to have a pretty quick draw yourself :cool:

Pierre

You will find that one of the benefits of this and other forums is that many will respond, and most with responses are with good intentions.

[ May 27, 2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: pierre ]

steveve1

Thanks for all your imput. As the switches in question are fused, I believe 240.33 would be the most applicable code reference. I have instructed my men to find a suitable vertical location to install these switches. What if they were non-fused and art. 240 didn't apply? I looked in all the catalog cuts/ installation guides and found nothing referencing vertical installation. Art. 110 requires installation per listing, the switches are listed per UL Standard 98 and file no. E5239 , but the UL web site proved unhelpful. Any suggestions? THANKS AGAIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.