Disconnect requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

drhoads

Hey all, I've been involved in a remodel of an older home. This home was taken down to the studs and new service was installed along with everything else, (insulation, drywall etc...). I was told by a journeyman/inspector that: I installed the water heater incorrectly by not installing a disconnect above it. It is protected by a correctly sized breaker, correct size wiring, etc... Am I to assume that it is required to have a disconnect installed? Where in the code book does that get spelled out?? Please give any and all feedback as this guy is holding up my final inspections until this is changed. If it's not required by code, then why do you think he is being so persistant for this change to happen?? The home is located in southern Indiana. Thx........

jumper

Where is the breaker in relation to the WH? If not within sight, does it have a lock kit?

422.30 General. A means shall be provided to simultaneously
disconnect each appliance from all ungrounded
conductors in accordance with the following sections of
Part III. If an appliance is supplied by more than one
branch-circuit or feeder, these disconnecting means shall be
grouped and identified as the appliance disconnect.

422.31(B) Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes. For permanently
connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes,
the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted
to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit
breaker is within sight from the appliance or is lockable in
accordance with 110.25.

110.25 Lockable Disconnecting Means. Where a disconnecting
means is required to be lockable open elsewhere in
this Code, it shall be capable of being locked in the open
position. The provisions for locking shall remain in place
with or without the lock installed.

mwm1752

Start @ 422.30 read until you visualize -- there are several ways to skin a cat -- some consider 427.55 -- An Inspector should give you a code section for rejected items.

drhoads

No the breaker is not in the "line of sight" of the water heater. As long as it spells it out in the code somewhere, I'm fine with it. I just didn't want to be force fed someone's personal preference. Thx for the responses, I really appreciate it!!

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
No the breaker is not in the "line of sight" of the water heater. As long as it spells it out in the code somewhere, I'm fine with it. I just didn't want to be force fed someone's personal preference. Thx for the responses, I really appreciate it!!

Yeah, you need a disconnect or a breaker lock. 422.31 (B)

Status
Not open for further replies.