Disconnect /Reconnect Utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electricmo

Occupation
Lineman
Out here in sunny Southern California we have Proposition 13, property taxes can't go up more than 1% a year. Local governments didn't like that so among other things, they started charging reconnection fees as high as $500.00. Also you have to pull a city business license before you pull the permit. Also, we have Digital Meters with locks. Pay the fees and the meter is unlocked for 30 days. So, on a Service Upgrade pull the meter, disconnect and reconnect, and it's done.
What do you mean by unlocked for thirty days? I assume your talking about a prepay system where the meter will self disconnect when the prepaid revenue runs out. But I’m most likely wrong.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
What do you mean by unlocked for thirty days? I assume your talking about a prepay system where the meter will self disconnect when the prepaid revenue runs out. But I’m most likely wrong.
When you pay the reconnection fee to the Utility, you sign an agreement that the meter will be unlocked for 30 days. If the service upgrade is not completed in that time frame, it will be relocked. The lock is a "Locking Ring" with a special security lock. This is all done to prevent theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.