Disconnect needed for feeder junction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slippery_sid

New User
Occupation
Engineer
I have two outbuildings that I plan to feed with one feeder from a 60A breaker in the main panel at the house, with subpanels in both. The feed will go from the main panel to building #1 and then on to building #2. Option A is to have the feeder enter building #1, go to the subpanel, connect #2's feeder to a breaker in that panel, then back out and on to building #2. Option B is to have the feeder enter building #1, but before the subpanel go to a 3-way junction box that would then "T" to both the subpanel in that building, and out to building #2. The question is, would option B be legal? If the feeder enters the building, goes immediately to a junction box, and right back out, does it need a disconnect before the junction/subpanel? Does the breaker in the main panel at the house count? What if the junction box is outside the building?
Thanks
Alan

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended for use by electricians and electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and vendors with their job-related duties. We are not allowed to provide how-to advice to persons who are not employed in this industry, or persons who do not perform electrical installation or maintenance as part of their jobs. Engineers are welcome to participate, but only if their questions do not involve attempts to perform their own electrical installation, troubleshooting, or maintenance work.

If I have misread the situation, if for example you have an electrical contractor on board to perform the installation work, then send me a PM to explain the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.