direct wired oven junction box and whip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Architect
Probably an easy two-part question for the electrical types here. I'm remodeling my kitchen and replacing a gas oven with an wall mount electric convection oven. Our electrician says we already have a dedicated 30amp circuit for an oven so that's not a problem. The junction box is going to be adjacent to the oven in the next cabinet and connected to the oven with an armored cable.
My questions are: Can the armored cable be inside the wall (with the junction box cover accessible) and the cable pop out of the wall at the oven location, or does the armored cable have to be outside the wall the entire way? Our electrician wants to run the cable loose.
2nd question is, we have a gas cooktop going above the wall oven (everything installed in base cabinets) Does the 110v power outlet for the gas igniter need to also be in the adjacent cabinet? I understand that gas and electricity don't mix, just asking from a code/best practices standpoint.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well the fact is that every gas oven or cooktop has electric run to it for the igniter and/or clocks etc.

The cable does not have to be inside the wall, in fact, that would make the install difficult. It appears the electrician knows what he is doing.

Occupation
Architect
Well the fact is that every gas oven or cooktop has electric run to it for the igniter and/or clocks etc.

The cable does not have to be inside the wall, in fact, that would make the install difficult. It appears the electrician knows what he is doing.
States the obvious in both statements and doesn't answer my question, but thank you.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

Status
Not open for further replies.