diffuser or filter for architectural 2x2 LED troffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick h

In one of the office spaces of my facility there were 2x2 architectural troffers installed in a hard lid ceiling with no ceiling access during a renovation. It is roughly a 15'x15' space with 4 desks, and one light over each desk. When the renovation was done a ceiling mounted motion sensor was the only means of switching installed for these lights. Some of the employees cant stand the direct light over their desks. They are content with the natural light from outside, and nearby lighting in the rest of the office surrounding them, some however want the light. Even though there is a decent amount of light during the day i would not feel comfortable disconnecting lights as it may present hazards in the morning and late afternoon. The best way to make everyone happy would probably give them each their own override switch for the light over the desk, but i'm trying to prevent turning this into a full blown project. Does anyone know of any kind of universal 2x2 troffer diffuser that would work in an architectural style troffer? or maybe some kind of filter? My other thought is to just replace them with a standard 2x2 with a softer temperature with a diffuser, it just seems like drywall work will be inevitable at that point with how they were installed. Its in a space that will not be able to be shut down for extended periods of time. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Can you run wiremold from the occupancy sensor over to a wall mounted switch(es)? The switch each luminaire, ideally use a dimmer, with a dimming ballast.

nick h

Good idea, but because of the location i would probably get shot down on the wiremold because of aesthetics. Its an old Historic building that was just remodeled.

Thats a great thought on the dimming module. Ill have to see if they have 0-10V dimming option. Might still have to pull the lights out of the hard lid to wire them up too. definitely worth looking into though.

Thanks guys!

nick h

Lutron Power pack +Pico remote

So i pulled one of the fixtures down to see about installing a powpack and pico remote like you suggested. That would have really been the perfect solution if they had standard leads for 0-10V dimming. The fixtures installed are Lithonia BZL series and are compatible for networkable control so they have 2 cat 5 jacks and leads for line power. Ive never worked with lights like this, and from looking around a little bit I don't see any simple wireless dimming options. I may end up replacing this fixtures and going with the wireless dimmers so everyone has control over their lights.

IMFOTP

You can still use a Lutron power pack to switch the fixtures with a pico remote, that way each employee can turn their light on/off. Those power packs aren't just for dimming, there is an on/off version too.

Sounds like your fixtures may be configured for nlight controls, I'm not really familiar with their wireless options (if any).

nick h

You can still use a Lutron power pack to switch the fixtures with a pico remote, that way each employee can turn their light on/off. Those power packs aren't just for dimming, there is an on/off version too.

Sounds like your fixtures may be configured for nlight controls, I'm not really familiar with their wireless options (if any).

Thank you for bringing that up! That should keep everyone happy.

dpcarls1598

Master Electrician
Occupation
Master Electrician
I’ve used these many times before for just your situation. They have a wireless toggle switch WITH NO BATTERY and small relay pack which I’ve mounted right on the fixture. Each cubicle gets its own switch for the light over their cube. They are not cheap but have been flawless! I’ve have at least two dozen within a few hundred feet and they all work perfectly and just for their specific light. The first 2 I installed about 5 years ago and the rest shortly after when the others saw them. Very happy staff!

https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Wirele...ocphy=9019605&hvtargid=pla-351228932777&psc=1

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I’ve used these many times before for just your situation. They have a wireless toggle switch WITH NO BATTERY and small relay pack which I’ve mounted right on the fixture. Each cubicle gets its own switch for the light over their cube. They are not cheap but have been flawless! I’ve have at least two dozen within a few hundred feet and they all work perfectly and just for their specific light. The first 2 I installed about 5 years ago and the rest shortly after when the others saw them. Very happy staff!

https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Wirele...ocphy=9019605&hvtargid=pla-351228932777&psc=1

Good to hear that they have a long term track record. I was intrigued by the battery free operation and guessed that the micro power needed for the transmission came from the switch motion, so I looked it up. Interesting: https://www.enocean.com/en/technology/energy-harvesting/

Status
Not open for further replies.