Diecast vs Malleable RMC Conduit Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
Other than preference and the fact one is expensive and the other is weaker, are there any areas where the code would prohibit die cast RMC conduit bodies? I think there was a proposal for 2023, to amend 300.4E to allow malleable iron conduit bodies right under roof decking. I could see only malleable iron being allowed in some hazardous locations. Other than that though, I am not aware of anywhere where one is required and the other prohibited.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Malleable bodies are available with covers that use clips instead of screws, no rusted or seized screws to deal with. When I ran rigid, I used malleable. For emt, typically indoors, I used die cast.
But I worked at water treatment plants where die cast did not hold up well.

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
Sounds then like except for a few circumstances like corrosive environments or hazardous locations, that it's more of a preference.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Even in classified areas, unless the conduit body is required to be explosionproof, you can use either.

One reason you may want one over the other isn't necessarily for the material or strength difference but for the fill difference. The same trade size conduit bodies by different manufacturers and different materials will often have different volume allowance. I think the malleable ones are more likely to have those rollers which seem to buy a little more volume.

Do you mean they provide more volume or use up more volume?
No they seem to give you more volume. note I am not talking about the actual number of square inches but the figure allowed by that exception that you can use the conductor size and quantity the manufacturer provides. I don't know how that is calculated, but I assume the rollers protect the conductors from damage more so they let you go a little bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.