Detached Garage EV Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cp0195

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Here’s a tricky one I’m not sure which way to go. I am working on a condominium complex that has a single car detached garage about 300ft away from the sub panel that feeds it. It is run under the asphalt in 1/2in pvc conduit and is 12awg thhn and currently on a 20a breaker. Client wants to add an ev charger and wants to avoid installing a ground rod so I was thinking of attempting to pull 10awg xhhw 2 (2 hots and a neutral and ground). Wanted to put on a double pole 20a breaker and connect a 20a 240 clipper creek charger and use 1 of the legs of the 240v and then neutral for the general lighting and 120v gfci in the garage. Is there anything wrong with this? I am aware of the voltage drop however they currently are able to use a 120v charger with the 12awg run with no issues other than the slower charge due to it being a step 1 charger. Would the install be code complaint?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Make it a 30 amp 120/240, add a small panel.. (He would have to have his ground rod(s).)

Gene B

Use 2 8awg and 2 10awg. That would give you 50A: 30A for the EVSE, 20A for the receptacles, and 20A for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.