Designing and Stamping electrical plans for new building

Status
Not open for further replies.

froggyb20

My church is in the midst of many major building projects. What all is required to be qualified to design and stamp (approve) electrical plans for the new buildings? Am I correct in concluding that I must be a professional engineer? What degree (or any additional training) is required? Because I am just about done with my bachelor's in electrical engineering, and need to know if I should begin the P.E. process.
Scott

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Designing and Stamping electrical plans for new building

I suspect that you are right, in that a PE seal is probably required on electrical plans. However, your profile doesn?t list the State in which you live. Since each State has its own rules, you should look for you own State's Department that handles PE licensing. A good place to start (it has the web addresses for all 50 States) is http://www.ncees.org/

Generally (and with State-by-State exceptions), obtaining a PE license requires the completion of five things: (1) A BS Degree in an engineering field, (2) Passing the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam, (3) Completing four years of related work under the supervision of a PE, (4) Passing the Principles and Practices Exam, and (5) Submitting certain paperwork, generally including transcripts and letters of recommendation. Each of the two exams is 8 hours in length. You can (and it is strongly recommended that you do) take the Fundamentals exam while you are in college, or as soon thereafter as you can. Some States (Wisconsin was one, once, I believe) may allow you to take both exams while you are in school. But most States require that you complete your work experience before they let you take the second exam.

My reaction to your final statement is an emphatic ?yes!? Best of luck.
Charles E. Beck, P.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.