Delta 250v, NEMA L15-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones16

Occupation
Electrician
I have recently installed a 100 amp three phase 208V sub panel in a lab located in an office building. The panel was for some general outlets and a couple of 30amp Humidifiers. now they have equipment comming in that requires 2 NEMA L15-30 250v Delta. not sure how to approach this! Thank you for any thoughts

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
now they have equipment comming in that requires 2 NEMA L15-30 250v Delta.
That refers to the plug rating. We need to know the actual equipment voltage requirements.

If you do need 240v and not 208v, you need to either step up from 208v to 240v if the panel has the capacity, or bring another feeder from where you have 240v or can derive it.

Jones16

Occupation
Electrician
Thank you! yes I assumed they were looking for 240v. The equipment is not in yet and i cant get any more info. I was thinking a step up xformer off the sub panel. there is also 277/480 available but 150 ft away.

synchro

Occupation
EE
If you need to step up to 240V then an autotransformer would be about 1/3 the weight (and lower cost) than a transformer with an isolated primary and secondary like a delta-wye.

For example, the ones listed at the bottom of page 3 in:

It would be good to check what type of equipment they are intending to use to determine if an isolation transformer would provide any benefit.

synchro

Occupation
EE
For example, the ones listed at the bottom of page 3 in:
This is the correct link for the brochure that lists specific autotransformers:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As others have said, before buying anything I would thoroughly investigate the equipment coming it to see if it truly needs 240V or if it is going to be fine with 208V. Lots of 240V equipment is OK at 208V, especially if it has motors 10HP and under. If it is just heating equipment, the only thing that will be affected is the maximum heat that the elements can develop, but if it simply cycles on and off, that usually just means more cycles and it is ultimately irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.