Dangerous Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Reputable looking video telling others to install a receptacle without grounding, poor connections and capping off down stream feeds. Thought others would enjoy dissecting all thats wrong.

Changing out your old electrical outlets to new USB outlets is easy, but there are a lot of mistakes you can make along the way. Here's how to install a new outlet the right way!

My point being that many electrical fires and incidents are not a lack of inadequate code rules, but simply unknowable inviduals who keep screwing up until it just "works"

Last edited:

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
That's 1/2 my biz or better , in my state MBrooke. In fact there's a bigger market for laid off or washed out apprentices in the many 'maintenance companies' here than for EC's

~RJ~

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you did a random sampling of electrical work on YouTube the violation rate would exceed 90%. Can't save people from their own stupidity.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Provided they aren't putting others in danger.
Sometimes I get tired of warning people about the dangers of doing stupid things. It would be less frustrating for me if those dangers came true more often. "See, I told you you would burn the house down."

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Sometimes I get tired of warning people about the dangers of doing stupid things. It would be less frustrating for me if those dangers came true more often. "See, I told you you would burn the house down."

What people do is their right, provided it does not invade the rights of others.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I'm not sure how they edited that video, but at first they cap off the 'extra' wires and button everything back up. Then they show 2 wires attached to the hot and cold screws on the new outlet, then buttoning up.
Issues:
1) Screw terminals are only rated for 1 wire at a time. There should have been a pigtail for both terminals. But that box looked like it had a lot of stuff in it; maybe no room for pigtails.
2) No ground shown-- I'm assuming that there wasn't a ground on the new outlet. But it was a metal box and the strap on the new outlet probably (!) made a connection to ground.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Agreed. I just wish Lady Karma would come and kick them in the rear more often. It would make me laugh.

I normally don't wish Karma on people, but sometimes, its fun. Sadly there are DIY installs which violate 30 rules and go for decades as well as things like bypassing the high limits on a clothes dryer that never actually results in fire.

kwired

Electron manager
I normally don't wish Karma on people, but sometimes, its fun. Sadly there are DIY installs which violate 30 rules and go for decades as well as things like bypassing the high limits on a clothes dryer that never actually results in fire.
That is the thing, so many things that are violations can go for long time or never cause a fire or shock. Gives false security to the untrained that they know what they are doing. then when that one incident does happen they can't understand why.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
That is the thing, so many things that are violations can go for long time or never cause a fire or shock. Gives false security to the untrained that they know what they are doing. then when that one incident does happen they can't understand why.

Yup. And then the customers look at you "but its always been that way" or "it worked fine for 30 years"

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Dealing with that on a house now. Changed receptacle to GFCI in kitchen and house. Heat pump went out 2 days latter. Telling me it’s my fault, one phase was missing. Aluminum got nicked some were, wire runs through duct into welded hole on one side and out another on the heat pump in roof.
Now a new issue came. All worked before homeowner says.

I don’t know how home-inspector don’t call this out but call double landed wires on breakers.Start at big issue first.

Attachments

• 1F3C10B6-DA90-40C5-BF80-A8AB638B28A4.jpeg
    1F3C10B6-DA90-40C5-BF80-A8AB638B28A4.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 37
  • E26C79A3-CDD1-4953-BBF7-7FBADDB53DA4.jpeg
    E26C79A3-CDD1-4953-BBF7-7FBADDB53DA4.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 37
Repeat after me... “ that’s unfortunate timing isn’t it? That will be $$$$.$$ to fix it. When would be a convenient time to start?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.