Damaged feeder wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A pool company was digging their hole in the ground for a residential swimming pool when they cut into the main feeder wires to the house panels. I have never seen a house like this before. It wasnt that big , 3500 sq. ft. yet it had 3 - 200 amp panels fed from 1 meter base about 100' from the house. How far do these feeder wires need to be moved back from the inside edge of the new swimming pool? The wires are currently in a 2"PVC except for the 4' section their back hoe tore through. What are my options to fix the cut wires? Can I just relocate them 5' from the inside edge of the pool and use a splice kit and directly burie the splices I make or is this a code violation? How would you guys do it? Thanks.

steveve1

Re: Damaged feeder wires

The existing wiring is probably not listed for direct burial, thus underground splicing is not permitted. Further, the 5 foot away from inside wall rule (art. 680-10) applies to conductors not in conduit, and conduit installations where adequate space allows this rule to be followed. My suggestion - trash the wire, fix the conduit to comply with the 5 foot rule if space allows, repull new conductors. Done deal.

G

Well the wire is not rated for direct burial. However the job is out in the country so no inspections. Can you say underground J-box. :eek:

bill addiss

If the conduit must be repaired and new conductors pulled doesn't the Pool Co./Excavator have Insurance to cover this?

Bill

steveve1

Sorry for using the phrase "trash the wire". I'm sure the undamaged lengths can be reused in the future. My further concern on this question is what happened at the meter base and service entrance. Did the wires simply slip out of their lugs on one or both ends? I'll bet some damage to bussing and associated supports occured somewhere when the backhoe snagged the wiring. This should be looked at closely. Good luck with your repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.