daisey-chained flourescent light fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

dues100

I'm currently working on a school addition. My Project Manager stated that when it comes time to wire the classroom lighting,it is permissable, per NEC, to wire the classroom fixtures in a daisy chain fashion (wiring from fixture to fixture with MC cable). The lighting scheme is 2x4 lay-in, not continuously mounted together. Each classroom is fed by a single 120V circuit. He could not give me the NEC article number where this is allowed. Can you give me the proper article number that I can refer to?

Thank you.

[ November 25, 2003, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: dues100 ]

david

Re: daisey-chained flourescent light fixtures

300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings ? Where Required.
(B) Equipment. An integral junction box or wiring compartment as part of approved equipment shall be permitted in lieu of a box.

iwire

Staff member
Re: daisey-chained flourescent light fixtures

Originally posted by dues100:
to wire the classroom fixtures in a daisy chain fashion. Each classroom is fed by a single 120V circuit.
Can you give some more detail.

David's reference allows using the fixtures as a junction box and

410.32 Wiring Supplying Luminaires (Fixtures) Connected Together.
Luminaires (fixtures) designed for end-to-end connection to form a continuous assembly, or luminaires (fixtures) connected together by recognized wiring methods, shall be permitted to contain the conductors of a 2-wire branch circuit, or one multiwire branch circuit, supplying the connected luminaires (fixtures) and need not be listed as a raceway. One additional 2-wire branch circuit separately supplying one or more of the connected luminaires (fixtures) shall also be permitted.
Allows you to feed through the fixtures.

[ November 21, 2003, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Status
Not open for further replies.