Customer with Electric bill 50% higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I had one client that for the last 6 months noticed their electric bill was 400.00 -500.00 higher every month, they couldn't figure it out, they called me for input, I asked a series of questions. 1 Question : what time frame does the usage show an increase, they called the utility and found the excessive cost was from 7 pm to 4 am , prior to this knowledge 6 months before they wanted all the lights around their home to come on automatically with photocells, they provided the bulbs I put them in, they loved the result, although obviously their electric bill became higher with the automation,
3-60w lamps x 14 fixtures = +-2520w .. I told them replace all the lamps with LED, miraculously the bill dropped immediately there after.

Another scenario different customer, They claimed they were paying 200.00 a month in a home that was vacant, they kept the power on for lighting and other basic conveniences, I found the problem within the first hour at the panel, put an Amp probe on a 20 amp pool pump circuit and got a 15 amp reading, the pump was off at the time. Obviously there was leaking of current flow, just enough to consume power and not overheat the breaker. Talk about hard luck. Anyway found the problem.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
One more that I have come across twice in years past. If they have an electric hot water heater, check to see if the temperature and pressure (T&P) relief valve is leaking. In many cases the T&P valve is plumbed directly to a drain, so nobody sees the hot water leaking out of it and the constant leaking of hot water means the heating elements never turn off.

Ah, just saw that drcampbell mentioned that already...

Status
Not open for further replies.