Current xfnmrs from Solar array mount ted in a load center

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
does anyone see a violation when mounting a set of current transformers and its module inside a load center ?

Is the system so small that a transformer on its output would even fit inside a load center? And what do you mean by the term "module"?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I going to assume we talking about CTs for a monitoring system, not for transforming the output of the system itself.

I've installed quite a few such setups, and I see no violation per se. There could be violations in the details, such as if the CT wiring is not rated for an appropriate voltage, the monitoring device(s) are not listed, etc. Perhaps the most likely violation is if the various parts exceed the allowed fill inside the load center. Typically I installed CTs inside the integrated disconnects of inverters, which avoided that potential issue. However I have not set up any systems that also included house usage monitoring. In that case, it would kind of be a requirement to put it in a load center.

ndc81167

I going to assume we talking about CTs for a monitoring system, not for transforming the output of the system itself.

I've installed quite a few such setups, and I see no violation per se. There could be violations in the details, such as if the CT wiring is not rated for an appropriate voltage, the monitoring device(s) are not listed, etc. Perhaps the most likely violation is if the various parts exceed the allowed fill inside the load center. Typically I installed CTs inside the integrated disconnects of inverters, which avoided that potential issue. However I have not set up any systems that also included house usage monitoring. In that case, it would kind of be a requirement to put it in a load center.

yes,, its for monitoring the load side current flow ,, and the rating voltage of the modules are fed from the load center of which its being installed in .
my concern was the fill,,,, of the load center is now limited because of this module ,,,,,

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
yes,, its for monitoring the load side current flow ,, and the rating voltage of the modules are fed from the load center of which its being installed in .
my concern was the fill,,,, of the load center is now limited because of this module ,,,,,
Oh. CT's do not feed the busbars, so they do not contribute to the electrical feed to the panel (i.e., the 120% rule). Installing CT's in panels is a very common practice and does not violate the NEC as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.