CT Shorting Block connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hi.

I'm being asked to install a cheapo electronic kWh meter in a separate room remote from the the CT locations (about 20 ft. away). The voltage is 120/208 3-phase. The CT's are 200:5.

Pretty much all of the discussions regarding shorting blocks and grounding of the CT's I've read so far have involved higher voltages. In the past I've installed these types of meters (E-MON D-MON) adjacent to the primary supply (low voltage) and in sight of the main circuit breaker(s). I wasn't too concerned.

My question is: How relevant would grounding the secondary of the CT's and shorting block be in my case? All conductors will be in steel conduit point a to z.

Thnx

If you will install the CT's when the circuits are de-energized then there shouldn't be an issue. One reason we use shorting blocks is to work on the equipment when it's energized.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
This is what we use.. I set of three per phase
voltage, current, ground, voltage current ground, voltage current ground, ground
the CT test set has a blade that fits in the switch for testing the CTs without de energizing anything or any danger or opening a CT circuit.

301F1F0A-4ED6-46C1-B07F-C09B4EF8C1DD.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.