Crossing Pathways in Modular Furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockd

Does anyone know if there is a specific part of the NEC that relates to exiting modular furniture (Herman Miller) via an unused electrical outlet knockout.
Our Facilities personnel want us to place our wire in the communication pathway but use a std Herman Miller kick plate with only two electrical knock outs. They would use the one while we would use the other to bring to a Hubbell snap on external box. So my jacks would not impede in the power pathway but it seems to me my wire would as it obviously has to cross from the comm pathway to the electrical. Doesn't this violate some part of the code. Haven't been able to find it and Facilities doesn't want to spend an additional $1.53 per panel to get a panel with a "communication knock out"

Your comments would be appreciated. Thank you Dennis Hock
DTE Energy

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: Crossing Pathways in Modular Furniture

I'm not 100% clear on your description but if your LV cables share any part of the raceway (including knock outs) with class 1 wiring it is not permitted.

-Hal

hockd

Re: Crossing Pathways in Modular Furniture

Thank you both that is in fact what I was looking for to support my position. I would have to crossover into the power portion of the raceway althought the knockout area would be an empty from a duplex oputlet standpoint. Still a big No No in my mind.

Thanks,

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.