Crews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
In large commercial work are most tasks 2+ men? I guess thinhs like receptacle install, fa device install etc. Take one guy usually but I'd think most activities are 2+ men.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Simultaneously? No. Start to finish, certainly, when you consider everyone from the bid and p.m. to rough in and final...which is why good wiremen understand how critical it is to know how little time is allotted to finish one can light start to finish...if you have 2 people trimming out a plug at the same time, there is a problem....

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In large commercial work are most tasks 2+ men? I guess thinhs like receptacle install, fa device install etc. Take one guy usually but I'd think most activities are 2+ men.
I'd say that it's about 50/50. Large conduit runs, switchgear, transformers, wire pulling, etc. 2 men. Lacing in panels, devices, small fixtures, splicing small conductors, 1 man jobs.

paulengr

We used to joke that mechanical supervisors are related to Noah. Mechanics always work in pairs. They go 2x2 everywhere.

One of the big issues is that some guys series on their own. So if you send two guys to say run lighting some will have one guy putting up fixtures and EMT while the other is pulling wire and terminating it. Some will start out with both installing with one holding the end, one holding wire nuts while the other puts them on, etc...parallel vs serial. The big problem is tasks where you need both for maybe fifteen minutes and the rest of the day is a one man job. This is where a good planner will schedule another job for the same crew and the foreman makes sure once the fifteen minutes is up both guys are working.

Watch a county road crew for great examples of how to milk a job this way. If you are on a government job be careful not to get caught working.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I'd say that it's about 50/50. Large conduit runs, switchgear, transformers, wire pulling, etc. 2 men. Lacing in panels, devices, small fixtures, splicing small conductors, 1 man jobs.

Ok, so what about high work like hanging a fixture, camera fa device etc. If it's over 15' I'd think you'd want another guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.