Crestron/Lutron programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I have some time on my hands..... I was thinking about learning about lighting system programming....

Which is more popular, Lutron or Crestron?
...has more call for programmers?
...can play with the tools without spending a ton of $?

(In general, programming things is no big deal for me, question is more of how much bang for how much buck?)

John@FL

Occupation
Design Engineer (AV / Home Automation)
Hello, I learned both Lutron and Crestron programming about 14 years ago. I haven't done Crestron in many years, but do Lutron regularly (along with Control4). For complete home automation, programming Crestron is likely to get you a better paid job (good demand for Crestron programmers). For lighting (and motorized shades) Lutron is the far away king. Lutron (and Control4) are relatively easy to learn and you can become proficient quickly. As to Crestron, I have not done it in many years (and it may have changed); however, it was far more complex and required greater training and everyday use to become (and stay) proficient. If your primary interest is lighting control ... go with Lutron (QS and RA 2). If you want to get into full automation ... go with Control4 + Lutron ... if you want to get into complex custom programming capabilities (think stadium venues instead of large homes) ... go with Crestron ..... hope this helps.

iustacould

Occupation
Lead Electrical Contractor
We used Crestron for years prior to C4. Problem was programming all the little details for touch panel backgrounds, widgets etc. Crestron pretty much went straight commercial so we went to C4. Can’t tell you how much easier this system is! I worked with Lutron Lighting on a few jobs but since C4 goes whole home automation and control it made sense to stick with it. Setting up lighting scenes is a breeze. Just keep up to date on Composer and enjoy!

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
We used Crestron for years prior to C4. Problem was programming all the little details for touch panel backgrounds, widgets etc. Crestron pretty much went straight commercial so we went to C4. Can’t tell you how much easier this system is! I worked with Lutron Lighting on a few jobs but since C4 goes whole home automation and control it made sense to stick with it. Setting up lighting scenes is a breeze. Just keep up to date on Composer and enjoy!

Epic avi :cool::)

Status
Not open for further replies.