Covid-19: Decisions regarding quoting, scheduling work

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
IMHO, if you can do any work without coming in relatively close contact with anyone else that should not pose a problem. I had to replace a meter enclosure this past weekend and it was outside the garage - no personal contact - job got done.. I had a service upgrade scheduled two weeks ago. I had already done the grounding two weeks before that - I had no reason to go into the woman's house - Breaker panel in the garage - Meter enclosure outside the garage. Woman cancelled the day before due to Covid-19. Go figure !!!

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
IMHO, if you can do any work without coming in relatively close contact with anyone else that should not pose a problem.
One would think that a reasonable approach

Most of my work is just as you've described, yet shut down by the state

Meanwhile, i can take mass transit, or stand in big box store lines here

~S~

Rdcowart

Occupation
Electrical license Holder
I work for a company and they are using essential business as an excuse for staying open. We do all three trades. I told them that I would only do emergency calls only they where a little upset. I understand that the company needs to make money to stay open. They quickly got over it when I started to hand them my resignation . I know I’m only 32yrs old and in good health, but I just can’t take a chance at getting sick or making someone else sick. I’m not trying to be a pain but with a wife and three Kids at home I have to protect them first. I do have my on company on the side in a different market area. I will only do emergency calls only. I have a ton of appointments saved up for when this is over. I just hope the customers don’t get to impatient waiting on me. It’s my opinion that the risk is not worth the reward. Stay strong my electrical bothers we all will get through this.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
.. Meter enclosure outside the garage. Woman cancelled the day before due to Covid-19. Go figure !!!
How did POCO Utility approve this without meter spot --location approval--, or municipal permit?

If building departments are sheltered in place & can't issue permits?

Property insurance won't cover any such casualty, and POCO is not liable for hot work lacking permit or PPE enforcement.

Lady may have been advised to cancel, since anyone can drive by, drop a dime, and she shares all risk against her property.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How did POCO Utility approve this without meter spot --location approval--, or municipal permit?

Property insurance won't cover any such casualty, and POCO is not liable for hot work lacking permit or PPE enforcement.

Lady may have been advised to cancel, since anyone can drive by, drop a dime, and she shares all risk against her property.

Different places have different rules. I don't need to notify the POCO if I'm changing or upgrading a service if the meter can does not require upgrading. I can pull the meter to disconnect the power. None of the three POCOs in my service area care. They just want to me to call them afterwards so they can reseal meter. A county permit is required for the panel change.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Different places have different rules. I don't need to notify the POCO if I'm changing or upgrading a service if the meter can does not require upgrading. I can pull the meter to disconnect the power. None of the three POCOs in my service area care. They just want to me to call them afterwards so they can reseal meter. A county permit is required for the panel change.

Having visions of remodel hacks selling home owners 200A service Upgrades without upgrading the POCO's existing 100A meter or service drop.

Fast car charger on panel flippers 200A load center burns up 100A service entrance, and ignites service drop tangled in the trees in mid summer.

You advocate avoiding community spread of Covid-19 by incinerating the infected as they shelter in place.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Having visions of remodel hacks selling home owners 200A service Upgrades without upgrading the POCO's existing 100A meter or service drop.
Been called to jobs with serious issues from this several times.

Results from un-permitted upgrades as part of un-permitted HVAC installs.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Particular supplies have already become hard to get and/or unavailable due to their manufacture shut down

Finishing up some jobs has this hurdle now, it's easy to imagine demand/supply woes escalating when the world starts up again

~RJ~

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Particular supplies have already become hard to get and/or unavailable due to their manufacture shut down

Finishing up some jobs has this hurdle now, it's easy to imagine demand/supply woes escalating when the world starts up again

~RJ~
We had one particular project that needed parts ordered several weeks ago to even come close to the original plan. I couldn't get a commitment so that is out the window entirely. Most likely the entire project is dead anyway. Beef prices and movement are in trouble.

Ravenvalor

This virus can be spread just by breathing. Aerosols can stay in the air for several hours.

https://peterattiamd.com/michaelosterholm/ Check out the show notes at the bottom of link.

""Understanding aerosols:

• The next time in your house and sunlight is peering through a window and you see all that dust floating in the air and you think, ‘Oh, my house is dusty., those are aerosols. That’s just from us talking. That’s from us breathing. That’s what goes on in your house.
  • The second thing is next time you’re in a shopping center and you are in a department store and you’re three aisles away from the perfume section but you can still smell it… that’s an aerosol.""

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Not sure what your question is but this was a service upgrade. All electrical equipment was already in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.