Counterfeit EMT Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter

Due perhaps to the recent increase in steel prices, there have been reports of unscrupulous people producing counterfeit specimens of ?” EMT electrical tubing. What these dastardly people do is take a 10’ piece of #5 [5/8”] rebar and drill 0.622” diameter hole thru the middle of it using a very long drill bit. Next they grind the ridges off of it with a stolen Makita grinder. Then they spray paint it with a can of Aluminum spray paint, usually Rustoleum™ brand. Finally, they sneak into construction sites during the rough-in stage and scrape off the legitimate labels which they then paste on their phony products.
So be alert out there.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Counterfeit EMT Alert

Peter, these people are truly "low lifes"

Roger

drg

To take a 10' section of rebar and machine it to the specs. of a 1/2" EMT conduit sounds like a whopper.

To take a piece of 10' rebar and have it run true on a lathe and the drill it through.......its not going to happen .then to grind it smooth .....machining costs would prohibit anyone for even trying to do this......Its just not happening and say this is a rumor and bad story.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

You mean it couldn't happen? Whew!!! I feel better now. ;)

Roger

big john

I'm with Drg on this one, that's a good couple hours worth of work per stick just to save an extra fifty cents. Anyone who was gonna sneak onto construction sites to steal the labels from real sticks of EMT would probably just as soon steal the EMT those labels were attached to.

Edit: Blasted April Fools, I completely forgot.

-John

[ April 02, 2004, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: big john ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Please note this activity only happens on April 1.
Our town was the subject of a radio alert today because we had "dihydrous oxide" in out water, which can poison you (dihyrdous oxide=h20=water)
Our local emergency center received 500 calls from concerned citizens.

bill addiss

LOL

One of the local Radio stations anounced some years back that people should disconnect or cover up their phones because the Telco was going to be blowing out their lines. (or something like that ;)

Bill

cs409

that was a close call,,,there for a moment i thought area 51 had a lay off and the tool makers where going the self employed role.....actually its area 57,,,,area 51 is just a decoy!

william runkle

It was a good one, but is there counterfeit E.M.T. out there? not from rebar but not listed or labelled? How many of you Inspectors look for a label on a stick of E.M.T.? For an example a drop to a furnace is using six feet of half inch E.M.T. for protection do you see if it is labelled? I am not suggesting using anything not listed or labelled, but with cost going up it will surely come to bootlegging. So maybe it wasn't just a good April Fool but an eye opener of possible things to come?

Status
Not open for further replies.