Cost of relocating panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

If that's the mindset of all electricians, it's no wonder they can't be that good electricians. Thirty feet away, that's three sticks of conduit .

That 30 ft away. Is that in a straight line or is that the path that the conduit will have to take? You don't often get to run conduit in a straight line from point A to point B especially when its enough conduit to feed an entire 400 amp panel. A couple of turns of the conduit and add the distance getting down from a high ceiling area and that 30 feet could easily be 50 ft. If that conduit length increases then so does the length of the wire in the conduit.

I think that electricians like a few details before giving an estimate because they are used to doing the work.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Splice, replace feeder?
Off a ladder, scaffolding, lift?
Explosion proof?
Emt, galvrig, IMC,?
Running over the smelter, etc.,

Tolerance for downtime is another big factor. Once I had to replace a 2000 amp switchoard that had several dozen 100-200amp feeders coming out of it. The facility could not tolerate down time. I had to parallel re-feed then disconnect each feeder. It probably took 5 times as long as it would have if I could have just turned everything off for several days. I did that cheap too, I think it was 20k including the new 800 amp panelboard.

kwired

Electron manager
I did with my $50K number, why did you not understand that?

No, the rocket science part would be easy it's the not knowing the size and numbers of the branch circuits and feeders, does the work after be done after hours, is it a sterile area, stainless steel, etc'''. BTW, if it is stainless double my number.

See above and then tell me why it would be so hard to give all the information if you want an accurate price. It's no wonder some engineers just spin their wheels while others excell.

Roger
Yes there are lots of things unknown at this point to most of us than can greatly effect the cost.

Was even brought up that if it isn't in place yet it probably much less cost to move it on the plans before building it than to move it after things are done.

If existing and needs moved, what is necessary for shut down to move it? Can you shut it all down and then move it, or maybe you need to install new panel and transfer a few circuits at a time somehow? Maybe you need to provide some sort of temp power while doing the task?

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
I did with my $50K number, why did you not understand that?

No, the rocket science part would be easy it's the not knowing the size and numbers of the branch circuits and feeders, does the work after be done after hours, is it a sterile area, stainless steel, etc'''. BTW, if it is stainless double my number.

See above and then tell me why it would be so hard to give all the information if you want an accurate price. It's no wonder some engineers just spin their wheels while others excell.

Roger

The operative word here is IMPOSSIBLE.

Cognitive resonance is definitely missing here. I don’t have to read it again.
OP said it’s in the ballpark of “HIGHER THAN 5 K.”

What he was trying to do is, give an idea, that the cost could be substantial. . . that it could cost anywhere between 5K and anyone’s reasonable guess to perform the job properly-- that will comply all requirements for this kind of project.
Specifics is not a big issue here. You were given the criteria that is: “relocate the panel”.

You are already given the type and size of panel (i.e. voltage, location etc)
The most important thing to do is: doing the job properly, code compliant etc.
It doesn’t matter how a skillful tradesman would do the job. You as a tradesman should be able to determine that.
If you can do it cheaply than the competitor, and pass inspection. . . then more power to you.

This will be your competitive edge and even separate you as a man from the boys.
Your fallacious comment shows, when you say: “you stand by your budget number.”

The 50K you alluded to is a possibility--but it may cause the owner to balk at that guess. What happened to critical thinking?
Relocating the sink (as others had said) would most likely be cheaper.

OK, the above is an opinion which involves yours and mine.. . but, if you compare building a wash station with a sink would be cheaper than 50K.

I installed a new bathroom with brand new plumbing fixtures, water closet, sink and shower only cost me less than 30K.

All you are doing is showing your interest in giving unproductive comment; hence , OP’s retort “ . . . you don’t trust who I say is who I am. Every time.”

It would help, you as moderator --if you could be more accommodating than being adversarial.
Having to go this route (plumbing work) would mean the work would involve a plumber only . . .no electrician.

So, you can include in your cost-- your charge for consultation. . . that is: sewage technical assistance. ;)

I stand behind my word.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The operative word here is IMPOSSIBLE.

Cognitive resonance is definitely missing here. I don’t have to read it again.
OP said it’s in the ballpark of “HIGHER THAN 5 K.”
I didn't say anything about reading the OP again. You brought up "budget" which I had already said my number was in post number 8.

What he was trying to do is, give an idea, that the cost could be substantial. . . that it could cost anywhere between 5K and anyone’s reasonable guess to perform the job properly-- that will comply all requirements for this kind of project.
Specifics is not a big issue here. You were given the criteria that is: “relocate the panel”.

And it could be every bit of $50K so with out specifics my budget number could very well be accurate or even low. Don't think simple, as stated in Posts #19, 21, 22, and 23 there are a lot of unknowns here and as an estimator that's only guesstimating a CO (or providing a budget number) with no information I will certainly protect myself on the high side.

You are already given the type and size of panel (i.e. voltage, location etc)
The most important thing to do is: doing the job properly, code compliant etc.
Agreed

It doesn’t matter how a skillful tradesman would do the job. You as a tradesman should be able to determine that.
If you can do it cheaply than the competitor, and pass inspection. . . then more power to you.This will be your competitive edge and even separate you as a man from the boys.
If it is a competitive bid there would definitely be more info or if the owner knew he was spending money for guessing I'm sure there will be bigger problems

Your fallacious comment shows, when you say: “you stand by your budget number.”

I didn't think you read post #8

The 50K you alluded to is a possibility--but it may cause the owner to balk at that guess. What happened to critical thinking?
Relocating the sink (as others had said) would most likely be cheaper.
And I agree with that.

OK, the above is an opinion which involves yours and mine.. . but, if you compare building a wash station with a sink would be cheaper than 50K.
Agree again

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.