cooking hoods

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke warmwater

I only have 1999 here, but it's 410-4(c).

In (1)-(4), it states 'within the hood'

Would you concider track lighting installed on the bottom of the hood (but not necessarily 'within') a violation??

I took my kids to Hibachi Sat. night so they could watch the chefs spin their spatulas, and flip their shrimp, and realized I was being blinded by standard track lighting installed under each cooking hood.

bphgravity

Re: cooking hoods

I interpret 410.4(C) as requiring the wiring method to be on the outside of the hood, but the luminaire itself to be "within" the hood, meaning the fixture itself and all parts should not extend below the outer edge of the hood enclosure.

If the luminaire in question is located below the hood, but still subject to exhaust, vapors, grease, etc.. I feel it would be a violation for proper instalaton of the fixture. :)

luke warmwater

Have you ever been to Hibachi?
There is a griddle that is at least 2' x 3'. The lights are under the flat part of the hood, but not up inside it. The lights are directly above the griddle.
The cook squirts oil on the griddle surface and ignites it for what appears to be a mini nuclear explosion.
The track and heads are black from the flames.
These are standard track heads with BR20 lamps.

bphgravity

Originally posted by luke warmwater:
The cook squirts oil on the griddle surface and ignites it for what appears to be a mini nuclear explosion.
Now that is funny!!! :D

I can't say I have ever been to "Hibachi", but your description of the installation is quite interesting!

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Sounds like a Class 1 Division 2 location to me :) Do they have seal-offs on the conduit to the lights?? Also, I am sure there is something in the code about nuclear expolsions, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Just kidding. :D

I would go see this if we had one of those restraunts around here.

Steve

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by steve66:
I would go see this if we had one of those restraunts around here.
Me too!

I think it that it is a violation, no gray area.

410.4(C) In Ducts or Hoods. Luminaires (fixtures) shall be permitted to be installed in commercial cooking hoods where all of the following conditions are met:

(1)The luminaire (fixture) shall be identified for use within commercial cooking hoods and installed so that the temperature limits of the materials used are not exceeded.

(2)The luminaire (fixture) shall be constructed so that all exhaust vapors, grease, oil, or cooking vapors are excluded from the lamp and wiring compartment. Diffusers shall be resistant to thermal shock.

(3)Parts of the luminaire (fixture) exposed within the hood shall be corrosion resistant or protected against corrosion, and the surface shall be smooth so as not to collect deposits and to facilitate cleaning.

(4)Wiring methods and materials supplying the luminaire(s) [fixture(s)] shall not be exposed within the cooking hood
Sounds like 410.4(C)(1), 410.4(C)(2), 410.4(C)(3) and maybe 410.4(C)(4) are all being violated.

bphgravity

Also, I am sure there is something in the code about nuclear expolsions, but I can't seem to find it right now.
Article 500.6(B)(1)FPN: "For example, zirconium, thorium, and uranium dusts have extremely low ignition temperatures [as low as 20 degrees C (68 degrees F) and minimum ignition energies lower than any material classified in any of the Class I or II groups."

Yikes! :D :p

luke warmwater

Well the next time I go, I'll try to take some pictures for posting. It might be a while though.

I no longer need Lasik surgery because the mini solar flares have fused my contacts to my corneas :eek:

Every hood is the same. I couldn't see what wire method was used, but the lights are not enclosed, and it is standard track lighting.

luke warmwater

Originally posted by bphgravity:
Also, I am sure there is something in the code about nuclear expolsions, but I can't seem to find it right now.
Article 500.6(B)(1)FPN: "For example, zirconium, thorium, and uranium dusts have extremely low ignition temperatures [as low as 20 degrees C (68 degrees F) and minimum ignition energies lower than any material classified in any of the Class I or II groups."

Yikes! :D :p
That must be the spices they use!

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Posted by Luke:

That must be the spices they use!
Why didn't you tell us it's a Mexican restaurant. My favorite. I'll have to check it out today.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.