cook-top branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been turned down for installing a 6/2wg to a cook-top that is only rated 240v. Red Blk and bare ground from cook-top NO Wht. Can someone tell me tell me what article in the NEC I am in violation of.

Thx

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Were you told why you were turned down ??
Can you provide specifics.. what type cable (NM ?) what size breaker ? what size cooktop ?

user 100

Just been turned down for installing a 6/2wg to a cook-top that is only rated 240v. Red Blk and bare ground from cook-top NO Wht. Can someone tell me tell me what article in the NEC I am in violation of.

Thx

If by cooktop you mean range, see 250.140-

Since 1996, the use of the neutral for the purpose of bonding the frames of ranges has been banned for new installs.
In other words you may need a four wire pull-2 hots, 1 neutral ,and an egc-if the equipment would require a neutral.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Augie alluded to the devil is in the details. For straight 240 volts the 6/2 is OK but there may be other issues which require more information.

user 100

cook- top as in counter top. I did use n/m. amps was not the issue he said I had to have a 4 wire. the cook top does NOT have a neutral.

If the cooktop didn't require a neutral, than the inspector was wrong-please see the explanation by Dennis Alwon in the last post in the other cooktop thread he updated in the general forum just a few minutes ago.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In most if not all cases a tap cannot end in a receptacle.
Yes, but if it is direct wired you would not add a cord and plug and if it is cord and plug you would... not sure what difference it makes. I didn't think the poster was saying to add a male plug to a unit that was direct wired...

Status
Not open for further replies.