Conveyors controlled by two machines.

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I currently have two saws that each run a set of waste conveyors when the saws are turned on. The conveyors are mostly outside. They would now like saw A to be able to turn on the conveyors of Saw B when saw A starts up along with Saw A's conveyors. They still want saw B to turn on its conveyors when only saw B is running. It makes sense when you see it and how the conveyors sort waste by length.
Could I get a little direction on how to do it? Can I make it NEC compliant? Are there contactors with double coils? Could you use something like a reversing contactor but not make it reverse?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. All motors are 3 phase, 480 volt.
Thank You

arnettda

So you want Saw A to turn on conveyor A and B, but Saw B to only turn on conveyor B?

How are the conveyors controlled now? Contactors energized by the saw or saw controls?
Yes to first part and they are controlled from the saw controlls that controll contactors

oldsparky52

Do the conveyors each have their own local Stop button which can shut them off?
Yea, I was thinking about that. E-stop issues need to be considered and resolved. You don't want to find out "oops I should have thought of that" later after someone is hurt and the E-stop didn't cut out the "other" conveyor.

Maybe also some signage?

EC Dan

Occupation
E&C Manager
You should provide a sketched schematic of the current set-up otherwise we'll be asking a ton of questions. The implementation highly depends on the details of the current set-up.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Can you put Aux contacts on the existing contactors?

If so, NO Aux contacts on Saw A turns on conveyor A and Conveyor B
NO Aux on Saw B only turns on Conveyor B.

If you are running Saw A and hit the E-stop for Saw A, it turns off both conveyors too. If running only Saw B and you hit the E-Stop, it turns off conveyor B, but Conv. A would not have been running. I(f BOT saws are running and you hit the E-stop only for B, conveyor B may still run because it was being run from Saw A, so you would have to have the Conveyors run through both E-Stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.