Convenience receptacles at AC condensers

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We're all in business to make money. Why didn't you just include and charge for the required service receptacles in the cost of wiring the A/Cs?

And don't say that the A/C guy didn't tell you to do it! What does he know??

-Hal
You are 100% correct Hal but this is the AC guy's job and he is the GC. I mentioned that I wanted to install the receptacles and he told me not to bother. This is HIS friend's house and he didn't want to "gold plate" the job. So, while this may be part of my responsibility to install receptacles, he is the GC for this job and responsible for it's acceptance. If he doesn't file for a permit and get inspected then I'm not my brother's keeper - I can't force him to do that. If I were doing this job as an independent contractor for the HO, I would have gone to the bldg. dept. pulled and paid for the permit and got it inspected.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It must work differently in NJ. Here if electrical work is being done it's the EC's responsibility to make sure a permit is pulled either by the GC or the EC if one is required regardless of whether he is a sub or not. The EC is liable if unpermitted work is done.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It must work differently in NJ. Here if electrical work is being done it's the EC's responsibility to make sure a permit is pulled either by the GC or the EC if one is required regardless of whether he is a sub or not. The EC is liable if unpermitted work is done.
I know this sounds like I'm shirking my responsibility here but make no mistake - I will stand behind the work I did. Usually, if I'm doing something like a service upgrade, I go to the building dept., and I file and pay for the permit. In this case I filled out a permit form, sealed it and gave it to the AC guy. He is the GC for this job and all work for this project gets filed under one jacket. If he chooses not to file with the bldg. dept. that's his problem. While I am responsible for my work he is responsible for the whole project

LLSolutions

Best answer is get better customers, but since i'm not the one putting food on your table my advice would be to note it on your invoice. "Recommended additional service, install gfci protected service receptacle as per NEC - customer declined". The code is the code but this one isn't a safety related issue. I wouldn't try "wired pool pump but customer declined bonding". Automotive mechanics do it as a CYA measure all the time when someone just wants an oil change but also needs tires. I've done it when i notice violations outside my scope also. I cant' force you to pay me to fix violations.

kwired

Electron manager
Here if it is at a single family dwelling and the only work done is to add a HVAC unit no electrical permit is required.

That doesn't mean you don't have to follow NEC, but nobody is going to enforce the code either. So if you take shortcuts keep in mind there can be consequences. No outlet at an AC unit probably not going to be a major consequence most the time. If an HVAC tech is ever electrocuted and they find he had to run extension cords to use his vacuum pump, because there was not a nearby receptacle and they discover you were the one that didn't put in the receptacle but should have, you are now part of the investigation at the very least.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You are 100% correct Hal but this is the AC guy's job and he is the GC. I mentioned that I wanted to install the receptacles and he told me not to bother. This is HIS friend's house and he didn't want to "gold plate" the job. So, while this may be part of my responsibility to install receptacles, he is the GC for this job and responsible for it's acceptance. If he doesn't file for a permit and get inspected then I'm not my brother's keeper - I can't force him to do that. If I were doing this job as an independent contractor for the HO, I would have gone to the bldg. dept. pulled and paid for the permit and got it inspected.

This contradicts your original post.
You indicated that you installed the feeds to the AC units, "then" noticed there were no convenience outlets close by.
Putting in a required receptacle is not "Gold Plating" a job.
Sounds like you missed it from the beginning then when you brought it up the AC guy said to not worry about it.
If he were a stand up General Contractor I don't feel he would have batted an eye at installing a required receptacle.

Hey, we all miss things but it boils down to this.

You either go ahead and install the required receptacle and hope the General will understand the oversight and help you with the cost.
or,
Install the required receptacles on your own dime,
or,
Don't and just worry about the phone call you may receive for the rest of your days.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.