Controlling LED lighting with two SPST switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEB_1965

Occupation
Information Technology
As the title of my post says, I want to control LED lighting (one 36" long LED strip light) with two separate SPST switches one of which will be a PWM dimmer.

First a little background. The project is a lighted shower niche using IP65 rated dimmable LED strip lights. One low voltage PWM switch will be mounted at the bathroom door. 12VDC input and 0~10VDC output. This switch will be able to turn the lights on and set the brightness. It will allow the strip light to operate as a nightlight in addition to just looking cool.

The second switch is a water flow switch that will be installed in an accessible location behind the mirror. It's job is to turn on the LED strip lights at full 12VDC whenever the shower is running. Yeah, its bougie and useless .. what can I say? To accomplish this, the flow switch will be inserted in the cold water line connected to the shower valve and will be connected to 12VDC through a delay relay module that will act as the switch for the LED lights. When water flow is detected, the relay turns on the LED lights.

If I install the flow switch or the dimmer switch individually, this will work flawlessly. The question I have at this point is what happens when I have both switches capable of supplying 12VDC connected to the lights. I have it figured that the dimmer (if on) will set the lights at the dimmed level until the water comes on. At that point the full 12VDC will bring the lights to full brightness, returning to the dimmed state when the water flow stops. I do not want a true 3-way switch in this setup because I won't be turning the light off if the water is running and also there isn't a 3 way water flow switch unless I build a special circuit to handle it.

Parallel 12VDC sources will simply increase the available amperage so I think I am ok there, but how will a PWM act if there is ever 12VDC applied to the output leads? Will this damage the PWM? Am I ok with this setup or will I be replacing components after a few minutes/hours of turning it on?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

KEB_1965

Occupation
Information Technology
Thank you for the explanation. I am a retired inspector and now work in my third career in Information Technology while still performing architectural services and building a few homes every year. If this is not an acceptable background to be part of this forum then please accept my apologies. I'll continue to lurk as a non-member. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.