Control Cabinet Location

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

shockingbehavior

New User
Occupation
PM
Hello, first time making a post. I was asked today by a control tech if it was permitted to mount a temperature control cabinet on the ceiling of a mechanical room that has no available wall space. The cover of the cabinet would be facing the floor about 10' in the air. I had never encountered this before, but the enclosure would be mounted with no obstruction for servicing. I wasn't sure where to look in the NEC since it isn't a panelboard. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The issue that MIGHT be a problem, is if there is any electrically held contactors in the cabinet? Coil current may be increased, but then again may not be an issue.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Any disconnecting means cannot be more than 6'7" off of the floor. NEC Article 240.24 and countless other places stating that any disconnecting means must be "readily accessible". Then the NEC defines "Readily Accessible" as follows (I have added the emphasis):
Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being
reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections
without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite
to actions such as to use tools, to climb over or remove
obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

So in addition to the disconnecting means issue, where else does "readily accessible" come to play?
1. If there are ANY sort of Over Current Protective Device inside (fuses or a circuit breaker, overload relay etc.) Article 225.40
2. Any "switching device" that needs to be manually operated (404.8)
3. Anything with a GFCI or AFCI receptacle in it (406.4)

We of course can't see your temperature control cabinet to tell what is inside, but these are the rules that would affect your decision.

That, and the concept that wolfsburged raised about people cursing you (and your progeny) for doing such a thing...

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
Certainly interesting... and depending on the method for mounting components internal to the cabinet and what exactly you are mounting you may have issues there are as well. Some components will only specify a vertical or horizontal mounting.. not an upside down mounting.

Status
Not open for further replies.