Contractor asked to use my License(NYC).

Status
Not open for further replies.

yordanys

Occupation
Electrician
Looking for some advice:

I have my NYC Electrical License and a business permit along with my own active company. I barely do any work through it as I work for a prevailing wage company in NJ.

I have been approached by the contractor and asked if they can use my electrical license also they ask me If I want to work for them but they payment is half that what I making right now. I don’t trust the contractor but I'm leaning toward letting them use it if they bring me on board. I looking to move into Bussines because yes I make a lot of money but my job is running RMC conduit all year long. My questions are as follows:

What are the pro's and con's?

Should I be asking for compensation? If so, how much in NYC?

Legality issues?

Anything else you guys can think of I'd really appreciate any help you can give.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
First: You should search the forum. This question has been answered here before.

Second: You are opening yourself up to a whole host of legal issues. Consult a lawyer before doing anything.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
When you say "I don't trust them" it should already be a settled issue.

You don't trust them, but you're entertaining the idea of jumping in with them?

Imagine a hundred other scenarios where you don't trust somebody, yet you're still willing to get involved with them, and see how it works out.

Would you write somebody's name as a signer on your bank account if you didn't trust them?

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
They want the profit but for you to catch any risk or fallout. They get the gold, you get the shaft.

MGest

When you say "I don't trust them" it should already be a settled issue.

You don't trust them, but you're entertaining the idea of jumping in with them?

Imagine a hundred other scenarios where you don't trust somebody, yet you're still willing to get involved with them, and see how it works out.

Would you write somebody's name as a signer on your bank account if you didn't trust them?
100%!!
Trust is everything

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Listen to your gut. If it tells you something is wrong, something is wrong.

Todd0x1

Look at it this way, if they were any good they would not need your license as they would already have a qualifier (or however it works in NY).

Status
Not open for further replies.