Contract with GC

Status
Not open for further replies.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
As mentioned earlier a good thing would be to mention some identifiers on those plans, that way if there is drawings they never gave you or if you got a set of plans that ended up having later updates, you have something to support what you were following when they refuse to pay any change order because you didn't follow the latest plan that you never received.

Which reminds me of the small print sub contractor inclusions that refer to the 'master contract' never seen by them

been there, done that, lost the T shirt......:unsure:

~RJ~

powerpete69

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Don't forget specifications. What type of wire, what type of conduit, what type of electrical gear, who is designing and paying for all the structural supports of your conduit and or cable and ladder? Things like that. The devil is in the details. Assume nothing.

Also, with a GC, I would start small. Then build a relationship and then get into bigger and bigger projects. If you get in trouble with a small job, you will be able to financially get away from it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Don't forget specifications. What type of wire, what type of conduit, what type of electrical gear, who is designing and paying for all the structural supports of your conduit and or cable and ladder? Things like that. The devil is in the details. Assume nothing.
Many contractors have boiler plate language in their terms and conditions that handles such issues unless otherwise noted.

kwired

Electron manager

Also, with a GC, I would start small. Then build a relationship and then get into bigger and bigger projects. If you get in trouble with a small job, you will be able to financially get away from it.
If you are the designer then those specs might be important, if building off engineered plans submitted to you for bidding, you are likely following engineer's specs as noted.

Gary11734

Which reminds me of the small print sub contractor inclusions that refer to the 'master contract' never seen by them

been there, done that, lost the T shirt......:unsure:

~RJ~
Usually, the master contract is after you have been on at least one project with this general. You already negotiated with the guy on the front end. The new would per project, still carrying the master with you.

Gary11734

Hello, so I have my first large job with a GC. I know in Oregon I have to have a contract when I am over 2k. I don’t know if that applies to GC also or just home owners.
I asked the GC and, they said no one has ever asked them before.
Any one know how I should approach it.
I will look into when I get home tonight.
Thanks in advance if anyone helps
What do you consider a large job?

kwired

Electron manager
Higher total project cost doesn't necessarily mean there was a lot of work to do, might just involve a lot of expensive materials/equipment in some cases but they may install in little time. OTOH you can have same dollar amount project that takes you weeks to complete but no individual items you sold were all that expensive.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Higher total project cost doesn't necessarily mean there was a lot of work to do, might just involve a lot of expensive materials/equipment in some cases but they may install in little time. OTOH you can have same dollar amount project that takes you weeks to complete but no individual items you sold were all that expensive.

I use labor hours as the metric of how large a job is. That and material cost exclusive of fixtures & gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.