Construction site temp power size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been asked by a mechanical engineer who does a lot of industrial mills to help him with one of his projects. He wants me to size a temporary power for a site that will commence in a couple months. Rough dimensions are one kilometre by 3/4 kilometre. I haven't seen the site or have any info on it. Would a 120/208V 200A main service be adequate or 225A for something of this size? I would place 3-4 smaller subpanels throughout. Anyone have experience with getting a construction site like this ready?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The size of the site isn't as important as the size of the project. On a .75km² site you could have a skyscraper being erected, or a 100m³ shack. I realize that's likely overexaggerated, but perhaps you can describe it better. If size given is project size, perhaps number of levels, type of occupancy when done, upper number of construction workers on site t one time, etc...

user 100

I've been asked by a mechanical engineer who does a lot of industrial mills to help him with one of his projects. He wants me to size a temporary power for a site that will commence in a couple months. Rough dimensions are one kilometre by 3/4 kilometre. I haven't seen the site or have any info on it. Would a 120/208V 200A main service be adequate or 225A for something of this size? I would place 3-4 smaller subpanels throughout. Anyone have experience with getting a construction site like this ready?

Without knowing exactly what is going on, wouldn't have the first clue. There are alot of variables and without more info it would almost impossible to predict what exactly would be necessary. Will there be Office trailers/other temp living structures needing power? If so how many? Will they require heat in a couple of months? Will this site already have water? If not how will it be obtained?-lots of questions. I see that you are to the north, so taking a shot in the dark here (not real familiar with the cec) you may want to try your sec 76 of the cec-thats the closest I can think of in terms of equivalency to our 590.

I had a good chat with a close friend who has been doing industrial for 35 years. We're going to get a list of questions drafted up because I'm totally in the dark for this project. There's so many variables about what could possibly be needed. Things like how many welders, crane, compressors etc. I'll post back after I meet with him and find out what is actually going on

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Another consideration you may want to include is when the permanent service will be up and running. A lot of from-ground-up sites I've worked on attempt to get the front end of the permanent service set up ASAP so temp power can be added on demand so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.