Connectors and nec 2014 article 690.15(A)(3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have solar panels installed on apartment building roof with Enphase IQ +7 inverters on roof. I dont have enough room to install disconnect means on roof nor do I have shaft or something to hold disconnecting means.

I told inspector NEC 2014 Article 690.17 (E) exceptions connectors can be disconnecting means. Enphase IQ +7 inverters have connectors that can be inverters ac disconnect and dc disconnect per NEC 2014 Article 690.15(A)

Inspector still said NEC 2014 Article 690.15(A) requires disconnecting means AC and DC within sight of or in each inverter.

Am I right or the inspector?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
You are. You found 690.17 (E) exception.

BTW installing a DC disconnect between each panel and micro-inverter, besides being ridiculous, would be a violation of 110.3(B).

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
You are. You found 690.17 (E) exception.

BTW installing a DC disconnect between each panel and micro-inverter, besides being ridiculous, would be a violation of 110.3(B).
Yes I told him that but was told single AC disconnecting means is permitted for inverters but I dont have room at all on roof.

He said I can put one at ground level outside wall of the apartment per NEC 2014 Article 690.15(A)(3).

How is that within sight of the inverter on roof?

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Inspector said to put one at ground level outside wall of the apartment per NEC 2014 Article 690.15(A)(3).

Should not PV system disconnect count as 690.15(A)(3) or we need additional to that?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I can't tell you what he's thinking. Usually for micro-inverters only one main disconnect is required. If this is a multiple unit building then maybe there is something else in his head.

Don't forget you have 705.22 requirement for a main disconnect as well, but usually one disconnect can satisfy both 705 and 690 requirements.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Yes I told him that but was told single AC disconnecting means is permitted for inverters but I dont have room at all on roof.

He said I can put one at ground level outside wall of the apartment per NEC 2014 Article 690.15(A)(3).

How is that within sight of the inverter on roof?

Unfortunately, encountering an inspector who doesn't understand solar, the NEC code governing it, and/or even the way electricity works is not all that unusual. I feel your pain.

pv_n00b

The inverter connectors comply with 690.15(A)(2). The interconnection CB at the existing panelboard you interconnect to, assuming it is mounted in a compliant location, will comply with 690.13(A). You will need a plaque at the panelboard location showing the location of the roof array and the inverter connectors/disconnects.

Status
Not open for further replies.