Connecting RGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

In general we only use the thread less in situations where you don't or can't put threads.
The Myers hub is generally only used in wet locations.
If the box already has threads then your fine.
Otherwise go with infinitys post.

kwired

Electron manager
one more option to add to a box with a KO - coupling on end of conduit then connect to box with chase nipple from inside box.

kwired

Electron manager
Have a pic of that? Know what the material is just like to see.
You really need to get out to the jobsites occasionally, this most common method of connecting RMC when no need for watertightness.

Thread one locknut on end of pipe before inserting into KO. Thread second one on after inserting into KO. After tightened thread the bushing on.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Am I correct in saying these are the only ways of connecting say ¾” RGS to a 4” box either with ko’s or threaded hub.
Threadless connector https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...Steel/Appleton/NTC75/product.aspx?zpid=152931
They also make setscrew connectors for threadless RMC (from pg. 21 of catalog at link below):
setscrew_threadless_RMC_connector.png
If the box has a KO you would use two locknuts and a bushing.

You could also use one locknut and this bushing (from pg. 29 of catalog below):
locknut-bushing_combo.png

Bluegrass Boy

Occupation
Commercial/ Industrial/ Maintenance Electrician
It would depend on application also. Indoor, outdoor, explosion proof, etc. The Myers Hub was a liquid tight, type, with an o-ring. It seems like I have even had to use a sealing locknut, on a cast box with threaded hub before. Customer’s EE may have wanted it I believe.

Attachments

• C5334FD1-DC30-4B8A-8DB8-8433F8EB81C4.jpeg
    C5334FD1-DC30-4B8A-8DB8-8433F8EB81C4.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 5
  • A9202198-126A-47EF-AC4D-C12DB6A37596.jpeg
    A9202198-126A-47EF-AC4D-C12DB6A37596.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 5

kwired

Electron manager
It would depend on application also. Indoor, outdoor, explosion proof, etc. The Myers Hub was a liquid tight, type, with an o-ring. It seems like I have even had to use a sealing locknut, on a cast box with threaded hub before. Customer’s EE may have wanted it I believe.
Sealing locknut is overkill on a threaded hub. If used outdoors more moisture will end up inside box and/or raceway from condensation then that threaded hub will ever leak even with no kind of thread sealant used, presuming it is at least made up wrench tight

Status
Not open for further replies.