Confused 250-32

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky55

I recently had a disscusion with a plans examiner, concerning article 250-32. The examiner had suggested that I not run an equipment grounding conductor with my supply conductors to feed a separate building located on the same property. According to the examiner, article 250-32, allows you to bond the grounded circuit conductor with the grounding electrode conductor to establish your equipment ground. On page 42 of "Mike Holt's Illustrated Changes to the NEC 2002 Edition", figure 250-10 and 11, it also shows this procedure. My problem is, that article 250-32 (D)(1), states "the grounded circuit conductor and the grounding electrode conductor shall not be connected". I will be attending an IAEI meeting, with the examiner, September 16, and would like some input to fuel the discussion.
Thank you for your consideration.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Confused 250-32

lucky,
You need to look at the complete section:
250.32(B) ... shall comply with either 250.32(B)(1) or (2).
If you meet the conditions in 250.32(B)(2), you are not required to run an EGC with the feeder to the second building.
Don

[ August 26, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: don_resqcapt19 ]

lucky55

Then where would 250.32 (d)(1) come into play?
"The Connection of the grounded circuit conductor to the grounding electrode at a seperate building or structure shall not be made. Also If you were to have two seperately derived grounding grids supplied by the same power cunductors you would have a multi point grounding system which is a lightning protection no no.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

lucky,
You can use 250.32(B)(1) in any second building, but 250.32(B)(2) is limited to buildings where there are no metallic connections between the two buildings other than the feeder circuit conductors. In neither case do you have two seperately derived grounding grids. In (B)(1) the grounding electrode at the second building is connected to the grounding electrode at the main building by the EGC. In (B)(2) the grounding electrodes are connected by the grounded conductor.
Don

dereckbc

Staff member

Lucky, 250.32(D) is for a disconnecting means located remotely. In other words lets say you have two buildings numbered 1 and 2. The AC service enters building 1, and building 1 contains the disconnect for building 2.

Otherwise Don hit the nail on the head. You can run and EGC to any building per 250.32(B)(1).

In order to use 250.32(B)(2) you must meet the three requirements of no EGC ran with feeder, no continious metallic paths between structures, and no ground fault protection has been installed at the common AC service. You treat it like a service where you bond the grounded conductor to the disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.